Coccidiosis treatment questions

She didn't make it through the night. I came out, and she was laying on her side with her legs sticking out and I knew. The Cocci must have been to sever for her to survive. I buried her out in our little animal grave yard but a fruit tree.
Was there anything else I could have done for her?
I hope her death will make me more experienced and prepared for the future. 😥
I'll treat the flock with Corid water and an oral dose for Doodle for the rest of the week.

Was there anything else I could have done?
By the time you noticed symptoms, but did not have corid available, there is probably not anything else you could have done.

If you had been able to start them all on corid when Doodle showed symptoms, it might have made a difference for this chick.

For the future, you might want to keep corid on hand when you are raising chicks. Also, check the rest of your chick-raising setup. Some people avoid coccidiosis with one or more of: dry bedding, medicated feed or water, gradual exposure to dirt from the area, vaccination. I think climate can affect it too, but of course you cannot do anything about that!

By the time you noticed symptoms, but did not have corid available, there is probably not anything else you could have done.

If you had been able to start them all on corid when Doodle showed symptoms, it might have made a difference for this chick.

For the future, you might want to keep corid on hand when you are raising chicks. Also, check the rest of your chick-raising setup. Some people avoid coccidiosis with one or more of: dry bedding, medicated feed or water, gradual exposure to dirt from the area, vaccination. I think climate can affect it too, but of course you cannot do anything about that!
Thank you, yes, I should have had Corid on hand. I have definitly learned that lesson, and will not make that mistake again. We also moved them out of the brooder very quickly. We honesty didn't even transition, just put them right outside. That probably didn't help either, lesson learned. 😞

She didn't make it through the night. I came out, and she was laying on her side with her legs sticking out and I knew. The Cocci must have been to sever for her to survive. I buried her out in our little animal grave yard but a fruit tree.
Was there anything else I could have done for her?
I hope her death will make me more experienced and prepared for the future. 😥
I'll treat the flock with Corid water and an oral dose for Doodle for the rest of the week.
I'm so sorry... :hugs

Back
Top Bottom