Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Yesterday while I was in my main pen, when I saw some bloody poop
sickbyc.gif
Then I saw more today
sad.png
But none of my birds seem to be showing any symptoms of coccidiosis
hu.gif
I did put a guinea in recently, so maybe hes the problem. I have removed him from the run, and put him in a wire cage, so I can see if he has any bloody poo. If I do find the culprit, how do I treat it?

Last edited:
Sulfa (Sulmet) or Amprolium - also administered in the water supply. If your local feed store sells Veterinary supplies, they will be able to direct you to the appropriate drug that they have in stock.

Quote:
So just feeding them medicated chick starter will work? Also I have a mixed flock (a turkey, ducks, chickens ) can they all get the same kind of coccidiosis?

Quote:
So just feeding them medicated chick starter will work? Also I have a mixed flock (a turkey, ducks, chickens ) can they all get the same kind of coccidiosis?

This information is incorrect.

Medicated feed is meant to help chicks develop resistance to cocci protozoa. It is NOT a treatment for a cocci outbreak. Also, duramyacin is an antibiotic and is of no use for cocci.

I recommend Corid or another liquid Amprolium 9.6% product. The dose is one to two teaspoons per gallon of water for five days. You'll need to chance the water every day and try to make sure that your chickens don't drink from any unmedicated water source during that time.

I can't remember if turkeys and chickens and ducks get the same cocci. Something in the back of my brain is telling me that different strains affect the different birds. But i can't say for sure.

That said, Corid would be the treatment for all of them as far as i know. I only raise chickens, so take that into consideration. Mostly, i wanted to make sure you know that you can't treat cocci with medicated feed and/or antibiotics.

Is your guinea new to your location? If so, he probably is the culprit, and you might be able to medicate just him if the rest of your flock as been there for quite some time and is already adjusted to your soil protozoa.

Back
Top Bottom