Coccidiosis will not leave my flock.

Don't give up Jake! I really understand why you are so upset - I felt exactly the same when it happened to me and I was really lucky it didn't get hold of the whole flock. It's so disappointing when you have done your very best and raised healthy birds to what you would assume is a more hardy age, only to have them become so poorly. Give the probiotics a go - I couldn't believe how much it helped. Great to think that you can give them something that helps their whole digestive system and allows them to gain more nutrients from their feed. You may have to get a different brand of probiotic from me as I'm in UK, but there are lots of suggestions on the forums about US brands to use.

Another thing I did with some of my chicks - purely by fluke. Most of my chicks were brooded by hens, even those I hatched in the incubator. For one batch I had no broody so raised indoors. I gave them some sieved soil from the field where we keep our flock to learn dust bathing in. I later read on the forums that it is a good idea to gradually expose chicks to the soil they will live on so that they gradually build up immunity to coccidiosis.

Hang on in there - the weather is against you at the moment but should not always be so wet.

This is my first year with chickens, but I am amazed by the overwhelming support and kindness of chicken owners.

Isn't this a wonderful resource that allows people all over the world with a common interest to come together and share their experiences? I have learned so much from reading the forums and having help from members when needed

I read this on a chicken vet group this morning and thought of this thread:

Laura Chamberlain Pylman: Campylobacter is very common in chickens, so you should treat all chicks/chickens as if they have it ( and salmonella) in terms of human health safety ( wash hands after handling, etc). Whether or not to cull is a toss up, it is very likely these birds have it and will shed it, but lots of birds do.

Did the necropsy results mention coccidia at all? Often when we see severe campylobacter or e. Coli in the liver, etc it's secondary to coccidia, which damages the intestinal lining and makes it " leaky " so the bacteria can enter the bloodstream more quickly.

Not sure it applies, but....
......thinking that repeated bouts of cocci can damage the intestine and possibly leave it open to other harmful organisms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom