1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis will not leave my flock.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jake underwood, Dec 5, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I think you might be able to get Coxoid in the UK.

-Kathy

2. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Welcome to BYC! Were you using the proper amount?

Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
    Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

-Kathy

3. MungoSummer

MungoSummer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    South of England
    Thanks Kathy, will try Coxoid if needed in the future.

4. jake underwood

jake underwood Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Trust me, I understand it very well. I have treated as the vet and online experts have suggested. I have a background in biology. The corrid has not worked, the injections the Avian vet administer did not work. It seems to always pop up after days of heavy rain, which is why I think it is an environmental problem. I really appreciate the suggestion of pribiotics. I am definitely going to give it a try.

5. jake underwood

May 19, 2015
    And I was using the recommended dosage with the powder, step by step, exactly as the experts say. I guess my question was if anyone knew any other options when corrid isn't doing the trick. Like, I said, I am worried it is environmental(I.e coming from the soil due to heavy rain. I have never seen such a wet spring in summer in the South East US.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Did you use it exactly like this?

Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
    Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Those doses are what the FDA and mfg recommend.

-Kathy

7. jake underwood

May 19, 2015

Everything you mentioned, I tried. The lack of understanding or knowledge isn't the issue. As someone mentioned in previous response, priobiotics is something I haven't tried.

8. jake underwood

May 19, 2015
    Yep. To a T. Would liquid work any better?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Some of you may not know this, but years ago someone decided the powder dose was 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but they did not understand how to calculate powdered doses and they assumed that that one teaspoon of powder weighed the same as one teaspoon of water. Sadly, the online community adopted that dose without bothering to figure it out and now the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon dose is everywhere I look, and I will guarantee you that it is incorrect.

Severe outbreak dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by