Coccidiosis will not leave my flock.

I have done everything possible to get rid of this crap. I've used corrid, I've disinfected coop, I've even taken some to the vet. The only information you find on the Internet is treating young chicks. My problem is from pulley to laying hen age. It's been a miserable year with coccidiosis. Trust me when I saw I keep everything clean. I treated them with corrid, and they still get it. What else is there left to do? I am almost thinking it is an environmental thing that is no fixing.

Welcome to BYC! Were you using the proper amount?

Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

-Kathy

Trust me, I understand it very well. I have treated as the vet and online experts have suggested. I have a background in biology. The corrid has not worked, the injections the Avian vet administer did not work. It seems to always pop up after days of heavy rain, which is why I think it is an environmental problem. I really appreciate the suggestion of pribiotics. I am definitely going to give it a try.

And I was using the recommended dosage with the powder, step by step, exactly as the experts say. I guess my question was if anyone knew any other options when corrid isn't doing the trick. Like, I said, I am worried it is environmental(I.e coming from the soil due to heavy rain. I have never seen such a wet spring in summer in the South East US.

Trust me, I understand it very well. I have treated as the vet and online experts have suggested. I have a background in biology. The corrid has not worked, the injections the Avian vet administer did not work. It seems to always pop up after days of heavy rain, which is why I think it is an environmental problem. I really appreciate the suggestion of pribiotics. I am definitely going to give it a try.
Did you use it exactly like this?

Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Those doses are what the FDA and mfg recommend.

-Kathy

I think you have a basic misunderstanding of how coccidiosis works in birds (and mammals). Low levels of the parasite (it's a protozoa, I believe, not that it makes a difference in treatment) are present at all times in adult birds. The only "treatment" is to reduce the levels for a while to allow the bird to develop a natural immunity. It is not natural (or needed/desirable) to reduce that level for the long term.

Young birds getting their first exposure are the most susceptible because they have not had opportunities to build their own immunity, so you want to keep the level of the parasite low in their environment. The best way to do that is to keep them clean and dry, cocci breed best in wet conditions and feces are the source. I have battled it often with my chicks until learning this and working harder at keeping the brooders dry.

Corid (Amprollium) is all you need, give it to a sick bird orally as soon as you see the listless, "frumpled" appearance, and put it in the water if you see any bloody feces or if anyone shows physical symptoms. Also, clean the brooder more. I have never had a case of this with chicks on a wire floor, but I believe their "quality of life" is better on litter.

Welcome to BYC!

How did you apply the corid?
What indicators/symptoms are you seeing that leads you to believe they still have cocci?
Have you had any fecal exams done by a vet?
If so, what were the counts?....cocci occurs naturally, so numbers will never be zero.

More info would help folks help you figure out how to solve the problem.

Everything you mentioned, I tried. The lack of understanding or knowledge isn't the issue. As someone mentioned in previous response, priobiotics is something I haven't tried.

Did you use it exactly like this?

[COLOR=333333]Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Those doses are what the FDA  and mfg recommend. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]

Yep. To a T. Would liquid work any better?

Some of you may not know this, but years ago someone decided the powder dose was 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but they did not understand how to calculate powdered doses and they assumed that that one teaspoon of powder weighed the same as one teaspoon of water. Sadly, the online community adopted that dose without bothering to figure it out and now the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon dose is everywhere I look, and I will guarantee you that it is incorrect.

Severe outbreak dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom