Marek or Coccidiosis?

UPDATE: I gave hin toltrazuril for two days. He isn't eating as much, but pooping ok. I'm sure that it's mareks. I found another chicken ill this morning. I've lost approximately 35 chickens. Mostly young (under 6 months). The Easter egger that is sick is about two years old. This all started when I bought six babies from a local farmer to put under a broody turkey. All I have to say is be very careful when getting new birds. I trusted this farmer. My birds are my pets, not livestock. It's so heartbreaking. This has been going on now for almost a year.

Sorry that you keep losing chickens. I would call the state vet to set up the necropsy on the last one that died. Ask them to look for Mareks. It is everywhere in the world, and it can remain in the environment for some time. But I would still want to get a proper diagnosis.

UPDATE: I gave hin toltrazuril for two days. He isn't eating as much, but pooping ok. I'm sure that it's mareks. I found another chicken ill this morning. I've lost approximately 35 chickens. Mostly young (under 6 months). The Easter egger that is sick is about two years old. This all started when I bought six babies from a local farmer to put under a broody turkey. All I have to say is be very careful when getting new birds. I trusted this farmer. My birds are my pets, not livestock. It's so heartbreaking. This has been going on now for almost a year.
It is incredibly heartbreaking to go through loss like that.

I can't recommend getting a necropsy enough, to be bold here, you absolutely must do a necropsy to verify what is happening to your flock. If it is Mareks, then read up on that, only get vaccinated birds, keep everything as clean as possible and you can likely continue to have a healthy flock to enjoy. Just be aware of how you can spread Mareks via your clothing and shoes as you go to feed stores etc. If it isn't Mareks, the necropsy will tell you what it is, and same, whatever the diagnosis is, research, treat / prepare / plan, knowing what is happening will help you know the path you need to take.

As for how he has hung on longer than the others, it is likely either genetics or he has a strong immune system.

Please keep us posted, I'll follow this thread and be sending you support from afar.

A few questions, how old were the chicks you got from the farmer, were they incubator hatched or broody raised? How long ago was this, and how long after getting the chicks did you start to have issues in the flock?

It is incredibly heartbreaking to go through loss like that.

I can't recommend getting a necropsy enough, to be bold here, you absolutely must do a necropsy to verify what is happening to your flock. If it is Mareks, then read up on that, only get vaccinated birds, keep everything as clean as possible and you can likely continue to have a healthy flock to enjoy. Just be aware of how you can spread Mareks via your clothing and shoes as you go to feed stores etc. If it isn't Mareks, the necropsy will tell you what it is, and same, whatever the diagnosis is, research, treat / prepare / plan, knowing what is happening will help you know the path you need to take.

As for how he has hung on longer than the others, it is likely either genetics or he has a strong immune system.

Please keep us posted, I'll follow this thread and be sending you support from afar.

A few questions, how old were the chicks you got from the farmer, were they incubator hatched or broody raised? How long ago was this, and how long after getting the chicks did you start to have issues in the flock?
I will get a necropsy done with the next one which should be soon.

The babies were about four days old from an incubator. I got them about a year ago. This farmer raises all kind of birds. I started having issues approximately five months ago.

I will get a necropsy done with the next one which should be soon.

The babies were about four days old from an incubator. I got them about a year ago. This farmer raises all kind of birds. I started having issues approximately five months ago.
The timing is possible, from what I've read it can really show up right about POL for pullets. No matter what it is, it will be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how it entered your flock but if those are the only birds you've added, then it's probably as close to a smoking gun as you will find.

Did those chicks get sick first? Do you know if any of your flock was vaccinated for Mareks? Were they under any kind of additional stress when the symptoms first showed up?

For transparency, I lost two pullets at 4 1/2 and then another at 5 1/2 months old, sent the second one in for a necropsy and Mareks was confirmed. I had 1 group of chicks I hatched last summer, all the others were from the feed stores over the last 4 years, my own chicks of course weren't vaccinated and Mareks is really hitting them hard. This started in November last year for me.

The timing is possible, from what I've read it can really show up right about POL for pullets. No matter what it is, it will be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how it entered your flock but if those are the only birds you've added, then it's probably as close to a smoking gun as you will find.

Did those chicks get sick first? Do you know if any of your flock was vaccinated for Mareks? Were they under any kind of additional stress when the symptoms first showed up?

For transparency, I lost two pullets at 4 1/2 and then another at 5 1/2 months old, sent the second one in for a necropsy and Mareks was confirmed. I had 1 group of chicks I hatched last summer, all the others were from the feed stores over the last 4 years, my own chicks of course weren't vaccinated and Mareks is really hitting them hard. This started in November last year for me.
Well, my Easter egger died. I will be contacting the necropsy office tomorrow. I don't have room in my fridge . I double bagged her with two large igloo ice blocks.

Well, my Easter egger died. I will be contacting the necropsy office tomorrow. I don't have room in my fridge . I double bagged her with two large igloo ice blocks.
I'm so sorry, but yes, the ice blocks should be fine you just don't want the tissues to freeze.

Depending on the lab, you can expect a preliminary report in 3 to 5 days, and a final report in 2 or 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom