Mareks

Slicker chicker

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
So I’ve had a handful of sick chickens since about July. They’ve either been culled or died. I’ve had some odd symptoms that I’ve come on here and asked about and I had a few lose the use of their legs. My last to die was my only Roo, Riggs 😢. I took him to the vet and after examining him, listening to what’s been happening with my chickens, he guessed that I have Mareks. He said I could have a necropsy done in Pullman Wa after he died and they could examine him, but he said that he’s pretty certain that it’s mareks. Someone told me about colloidal silver and it didn’t work. If you had to guess, what are the odds I’ll lose the majority of my flock? I doubt any of my present chickens are vaxxed, as I’ve lost chickens from each place I purchased chickens from. TSC, North 40 and a local feed store. I’m buying vaxxed chicks this year from Cackle. There is no way for me to sterilize and fully clean my wooden coop, and eventually the chickens will all be around each other, are the vaxxed chickens fairly resilient to Mareks? I’ve seen some discussions where it’s gotten opinionated and downright mean discussing vaccinated chickens, but I feel it’s the safest choice for my chickens. Looking for information
Thanks!

Attachments

• 71815980175__6CEF7287-2434-4D33-83F3-7DDB67DADA5C.jpeg
    71815980175__6CEF7287-2434-4D33-83F3-7DDB67DADA5C.jpeg
    813.7 KB · Views: 103
I’ve seen some discussions where it’s gotten opinionated and downright mean discussing vaccinated chickens, but I feel it’s the safest choice for my chickens. Looking for information
Thanks!
Let me guess that was on Facebook.

@2ndTink is a friend here that's going through that and can help give support. There's a great article here about Marek's I'll give you the link of when I find it.

Found it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

I got my Marek’s diagnosis a year ago last January, I’ve lost many birds but I’ve also had birds survive and seem to be resistant so far. Out of my original birds I’ve lost 6, 2 of those were vaccinated. I hatched out 12 quail dancers the September before my diagnosis, I lost all 12 with the last 2 making it a few days before their first birthday. I had a bantam Cochin sitting on eggs when I got my diagnosis, they are a year old today a one lost one so far. I hatched out 3 more about a month later and I still have 2. We received more quail danver eggs and hatched them out around last easter. We hatched 14. I currently still have 2.

I won’t say you won’t have losses because you will. I have learned a lot has to do with what breeds you have as some are more resistant than others. It also depends on how virulent your strain is. On my property I’ve seen it appear as occular, mainly starts out with my vaccinated birds, I’ve had them waste away this mainly happens to my older birds, and I’ve also had the classic paralysis.

I got my Marek’s diagnosis a year ago last January, I’ve lost many birds but I’ve also had birds survive and seem to be resistant so far. Out of my original birds I’ve lost 6, 2 of those were vaccinated. I hatched out 12 quail dancers the September before my diagnosis, I lost all 12 with the last 2 making it a few days before their first birthday. I had a bantam Cochin sitting on eggs when I got my diagnosis, they are a year old today a one lost one so far. I hatched out 3 more about a month later and I still have 2. We received more quail danver eggs and hatched them out around last easter. We hatched 14. I currently still have 2.

I won’t say you won’t have losses because you will. I have learned a lot has to do with what breeds you have as some are more resistant than others. It also depends on how virulent your strain is. On my property I’ve seen it appear as occular, mainly starts out with my vaccinated birds, I’ve had them waste away this mainly happens to my older birds, and I’ve also had the classic paralysis.
Experiencing all of this, do you think the vaccine lessens mortality or is there not much of a difference?
I'm sorry for your experience, but it's so good of you to share it with others. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom