Marek or Coccidiosis?

The timing is possible, from what I've read it can really show up right about POL for pullets. No matter what it is, it will be almost impossible to pinpoint exactly how it entered your flock but if those are the only birds you've added, then it's probably as close to a smoking gun as you will find.

Did those chicks get sick first? Do you know if any of your flock was vaccinated for Mareks? Were they under any kind of additional stress when the symptoms first showed up?

For transparency, I lost two pullets at 4 1/2 and then another at 5 1/2 months old, sent the second one in for a necropsy and Mareks was confirmed. I had 1 group of chicks I hatched last summer, all the others were from the feed stores over the last 4 years, my own chicks of course weren't vaccinated and Mareks is really hitting them hard. This started in November last year for me.
I purchased all my birds from feed stores and they were supposed to be vaccinated. Those are the ones that got hit the hardest.

The six I got from the farmer were not vaccinated. Actually, the rooster that I've been discussing here is one of them. There are only two others from the six that, as far as I know, are doing OK. The others died.

Sorry again for your loss. Most feed stores do not vaccinate birds because many people do not want vaccinated birds, but mainly because they cost more. Some feel that vaccinating birds can cause the Mareks virus to further mutate. Vaccinated birds can still get the disease. Here are a couple of good articles to read about Mareks:
https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/vdl/colorado-avian-health-program/mareks-disease/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Here is the first report. I immediately went out and put goat dewarmer in their water. I thought I was doing good on the deworming....guess not.

Attachments

• 20240206_140411.jpg
    20240206_140411.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 29
Hmm, no tumors and no indication in the report that they think it is Mareks so that is good news!

Different workers work best on different worms, you may want to do a fecal float test to identify exactly what they are so you can target them.
:hugs

Hmm, no tumors and no indication in the report that they think it is Mareks so that is good news!

Different workers work best on different worms, you may want to do a fecal float test to identify exactly what they are so you can target them.
It says marked parasitism in intestines, so there were worms or some kind of parasite. Unfortunately her body had decomposed where more tissue examination could not be done.

Worms and coccidia are both parasites. Unfortunately the body was in decay, and they did not identify or say what parasites they were. The owner could possibly get that clarified, but they said they have treated with Safeguard in the water. SafeGuard goat wormer is given orally at 0.23 ml per pound of weight for 5 consecutive days. It settles out in water, and the correct dosage is hard to gage.

2nd page
Worms and coccidia are both parasites. Unfortunately the body was in decay, and they did not identify or say what parasites they were. The owner could possibly get that clarified, but they said they have treated with Safeguard in the water. SafeGuard goat wormer is given orally at 0.23 ml per pound of weight for 5 consecutive days. It settles out in water, and the correct dosage is hard to gage.
That is what I'm doing wrong. I thought I put goat dewormer in the water. But I also give them "worm out" in the water and "ivermectin paste" on bread.

Attachments

• 17072477980303574347297420959521.jpg
    17072477980303574347297420959521.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 19

I requested that they end out the tissue for mareks exam.

Back
Top Bottom