Did coccidiosis kill my cockerel or could this be something else?

My first thought was worm or protazoic infection.

I've seen one of my hen's vomit but she got into my compost which has a lot of mold and biological activity for decomposition.

It's important to deworm the flock yearly. As a safe measure to keep them healthy. And it's one less thing to scratch off when diagnosing a sick bird.
Thank you, can you recommend a dewormer that is safe to use and available over the counter? Last year we had a hen poop out a roundworm. At the time, we had an amazing vet that saw chickens that prescribed something to put in the flocks water. He has since left the practice and they don't currently have an exotics vet that sees chickens so that option is out. I've never used anything else and haven't been able to find anything approved for use so I'm assuming I'd have to do off label.

Many of us use Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer 1/2 ml given orally to each chicken, and then repeat it in 10 days to get the worm eggs that hatch. The other common one is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days straight. If you only want to treat roundworms, it can be given once and repeated in 10 days.

Actually, @jessejeanne , you may be right about it being a crop problem. Though I prefer to use chilled coconut oil, Colase, miconazole, or even acidified copper sulfate to treat crop problems, Epsom salts can be used, according to some poultry colleges, to flush a crop. Here is an example of that:
https://extension.umd.edu/resource/common-crop-issues-backyard-chickens/
Next time you suggest a treatment, just post the whole article or link. We all are entitled to giving our advice here, so keep it up. We may disagree with you, but if you have a link to back it up, it is perfectly welcome.
Thank you for the tips. I got it from this site :
https://poultrylane.com/chicken-vomiting/

It wasn’t my intention to give anyone advice and I just took a screenshot for what could’ve been the cause. I will make sure to provide the article or link next time.

Necropsy update/pics.....

Thank you to everyone for encouraging me to have a necropsy done! I opted to drive to the closest state lab and drop him off. I'm so glad that I did!! Two weeks later, I hadn't received the preliminary report email so I called the lab and was put through to the performing doctor. She was amazing! She resent the results and went over them with me in detail, answering my many questions. She was even willing to speak with me again, just a few days later, to answer more questions when Patch's "twin " sister Mini starting showing similar symptoms to his(fluffed up, poop was also very watery/white,thankfully no blood and when I picked her up, she also vomited brown liquid). Thanks to the encouragement to have a necropsy done, the doctor who permformed it and her preliminary results, we were able to quickly treat her for gout and I'm happy to say she is doing much better and is happy to be back with the flock again! We will continue to monitor her and treat for gout as needed. Thank you again for the encouragement to have a necropsy done. It saved my pullets life! 😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_092333_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_092333_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240330_092338_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_092338_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240330_092344_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_092344_Samsung Notes~3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom