Coccidiosis?

Suburban Sprouts

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I've kept chickens for 7 years and never run into cocci... Today when I was collecting eggs I noticed some chicken poop on the ground that had these blood-clot looking lumps in it. I looked around and only saw this one instance of it. Can anyone tell me if this is for sure cocci or if it could be something else? If you are certain it is cocci, what treatment can I do?

Info about my flock: 1 older hen that managed to survive several raccoon attacks last year, the rest all hatched this past July and were our replacement birds. 1 rooster from that same July hatch date. All seem to be behaving normally as far as I can tell. They were all fed medicated starter as chicks before being moved outside. They have *just* started to lay.

Thank you so much for your help! My local BYC group has told me "cocci for sure" but wanted to get opinions here as I know there are lots of "expert" level chicken-keepers.

Looks like cocci to me.Its not intestinal lining.You are going to need to buy Corid which treats cocci and can be found at feed stores.You are going to need to treat all of them.

Dosage

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

For 5-7 days

Looks like cocci to me.Its not intestinal lining.You are going to need to buy Corid which treats cocci and can be found at feed stores.You are going to need to treat all of them.

Dosage

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

For 5-7 days
X2

If they were mine I would treat for Cocci. @MasterOfClucker has given you the correct dosages for Corid. I would treat them all with the severe outbreak dosage. Treat for 5-7days - make sure the Corid water is the ONLY source of water during this time.

After you have finished treatment provide them with some probiotics (yogurt) and poultry vitamins for a few days.

Just to add.Cocci infected probably wont drink as much.What i would do is call them all for treats and see which one doesn't come.I would take extra care of the slow one and if she seems really bad you can put a few drops of plain corid in her mouth.BTW corid is extremely safe.

Back
Top Bottom