Coccidiosis?

dmslax45

Hatching
Jul 15, 2022
Noticed some bloody/mucus poop under one of my chickens when I closed them in tonight. Assuming it’s cocci and going to start the whole flock on corid, but wondering others opinions and if it could be anything else.

D9276893-08D9-49C5-ABB9-F613AD0A05E7.jpeg

How old are your birds and any new additions? Coccidiosis isn't very common in adult birds... That being said, it does look more like coccidiosis to me than intestinal lining which is usual more orangy and stringy. Worms can also sometimes cause enough intestinal damage to produce bloody poop, but since cocci can get so bad so quickly I treat for that first.

How old are your birds and any new additions? Coccidiosis isn't very common in adult birds... That being said, it does look more like coccidiosis to me than intestinal lining which is usual more orangy and stringy. Worms can also sometimes cause enough intestinal damage to produce bloody poop, but since cocci can get so bad so quickly I treat for that first.
Birds are 1-2 years old and we did just add two to the flock. I believe this is coming from one of the new birds, which I was told were vaccinated. They all seem to be acting normal, but have not seen a poop look like this in the past, so was concerned. To your point, I guess treating with corid can’t hurt in case it is cocci.

If intestinal lining, is there anything needed to do?

Unless they have been eating berries I would treat for coccidiosis if I saw that. If you brought new birds in they may not have been exposed or have resistance to any strains you have on your property. The vaccination is not always 100% effective since it's usually a sprayed on type that they have to pick off and ingest for it to work. And chicks that got the vaccine and then were fed medicated feed, that can negate the vaccine. So since they are adult birds, hard to know the history. The Corid treatment is very safe and very unlikely to do any harm, so I would treat, better safe than sorry. I would also keep an eye on your original flock, new birds can also bring in new strains that your birds may not have been exposed to also.
Once treatment is complete, if you are still seeing abnormal droppings then I would consider worming them or getting a fecal test done to check for other internal parasites.

Unless they have been eating berries I would treat for coccidiosis if I saw that. If you brought new birds in they may not have been exposed or have resistance to any strains you have on your property. The vaccination is not always 100% effective since it's usually a sprayed on type that they have to pick off and ingest for it to work. And chicks that got the vaccine and then were fed medicated feed, that can negate the vaccine. So since they are adult birds, hard to know the history. The Corid treatment is very safe and very unlikely to do any harm, so I would treat, better safe than sorry. I would also keep an eye on your original flock, new birds can also bring in new strains that your birds may not have been exposed to also.
Once treatment is complete, if you are still seeing abnormal droppings then I would consider worming them or getting a fecal test done to check for other internal parasites.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom