Coccidiosis?

Cj Tracker

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
my hen (my favorite girl) Turnip, has been sluggish, not eating or drinking much except when I put her on the mealworm tank but that was still just a few. She's slowly worsening since Monday (on day 5 now and I believe ruled out eggbound abd sour crop)
symptoms:
walking slowly as in a daze
mostly resting
little appetite
runny yellow stool, today it has some dark but it's basically yellow liquid
comb flopped over

I started Corid today. treating all accessible water for flock.

no one else in the flock has any symptoms

she hasn't been laying. she has been laying very large eggs late summer/fall. probably 1/4 of the flock except the very young ones aren't producing daily.

I did start buying feed (almost done 3rd bag) from a local farmer. corn, wheat, soybeans, alfalfa, minerals, calcium)

I tried crushing calcium citrate into her feed the first two days when she was eating feed.

any ideas?? love this girl. been checking on her at night, losing sleep over my little love

Attachments

• 20230324_085234.jpg
    20230324_085234.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230324_085234.jpg
    20230324_085234.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_085225.jpg
    20230324_085225.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_085214.jpg
    20230324_085214.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_085225.jpg
    20230324_085225.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_085214.jpg
    20230324_085214.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_090903.jpg
    20230324_090903.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 3
How old is she? Is her crop emptying by early morning? How does it feel right now? Yellowish droppings can be a sign of a reproductive disorder or infection. If you could get her vent area cleaned up with a soak, it would help to get a new picture. Could she have gotten into some moldy feed or stuff from a compost bed? Things like vent gleet or eating moldy food could cause a GI upset. Is the feed you are using guaranteed for a balanced diet? Feed has increased so much in price lately, so but I prefer a well know brand. Probiotics or plain yogurt might help.

How old is she? Is her crop emptying by early morning? How does it feel right now? Yellowish droppings can be a sign of a reproductive disorder or infection. If you could get her vent area cleaned up with a soak, it would help to get a new picture. Could she have gotten into some moldy feed or stuff from a compost bed? Things like vent gleet or eating moldy food could cause a GI upset. Is the feed you are using guaranteed for a balanced diet? Feed has increased so much in price lately, so but I prefer a well know brand. Probiotics or plain yogurt might help.
she's 3 years old.
I usually stick with organic feed but this is a farm I buy my meat from where I got these feed bags it's what they use on their hens and no one else in my flock is sick.
they all dig in the compost equally. I do have cats that are outside and social with the chickens, that may go potty in places where they free range or even dirt bathe do I thought coccidiosis may be reasonable logic.

I gave her a warm Epsom soak for a half hour her first day thinking it much have been an egg issue . she seemed to like it but maybe she was just weak and not fighting. that was Monday and it's Friday now. she's inside my house resting now but not eating. I syringed some water into her mouth just a 1/4 tsp maybe and that got her struggling with me

going on 6th day now!!! Help. I don't want to lose her and been trying everything

I'm going to continue corid and coconut oil

today she seems to have a knot above the crop in her throat area. will add a little charcoal to coconut in case she ingested something bad but worried about obstruction in that area since she's just drinking and little nibbles of small break worms but very disinteresred in foods

You might try treating her with oral Monistat or miconazole cream 1/2 inch twice a day, and also apply some to her clean dry vent. She might have a fungal/yeast infection from getting into the compost bed.

You might try treating her with oral Monistat or miconazole cream 1/2 inch twice a day, and also apply some to her clean dry vent. She might have a fungal/yeast infection from getting into the compost bed.
thank you.. she just is so irritated with me trying to help her. when you don't know what it is and try different remedies it makes it harder on them. I check and intervene a few times a day just to make sure she's drinking at least and didn't pass away :( haven't had that happen yet and it would really break my heart for her to be the first at only 3 yo

she passed away last night 😞😓😩
I see your chicken passed away back in March. I just saw this and want to offer you my sympathies. One of my two passed away a couple of days ago from something that sounds similar to what you had. I'm still working on the other one and pray I can save her.

It is so hard to lose a much beloved pet, especially when you have worked so hard at trying to save them from something. There's not only the grief of the loss but the tremendous guilt. I hope you don't ever have to go through this type of loss again with your feathered kids. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom