Coccidiosis?

Billie371

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I have 9 week old babies in my coop that are separated by fencing from my big girls. I also have babies in our garage. I noticed Monday afternoon the babies had bloody stools so I started treating them with corid I am doing 2 tsp per gallon of water. Monday evening I noticed my 9 week old buff orpington laying on the ground. I brought her in the house and she is also pooping blood. So I started treating the whole flock for coccidiosis. Everyone is doing way better except this one orpington. She won't stand on her own when I try to stand her up she just falls over. I have been using a syringe to give her water. If I lay her by the food she eats. On Tuesday I gave her a couple drops of straight corid on her beak. She is still pooping blood and wont stand. I just made her some scrambled eggs and she is eating them. So my question is this actually coccidiosis or something else? Is there something else I should be doing for her? I don't want to give up on her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20231102101258.jpg
    IMG20231102101258.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 77
Also I wanted to add all the chickens in my coop including this girl are vaccinated. The babies in the garage were from a local breeder so they are not. Another thing I do not see any bruising on her. If I pinch her toes she moves her legs so they are not paralyzed she just won't stand.

I have 9 week old babies in my coop that are separated by fencing from my big girls. I also have babies in our garage. I noticed Monday afternoon the babies had bloody stools so I started treating them with corid I am doing 2 tsp per gallon of water. Monday evening I noticed my 9 week old buff orpington laying on the ground. I brought her in the house and she is also pooping blood. So I started treating the whole flock for coccidiosis. Everyone is doing way better except this one orpington. She won't stand on her own when I try to stand her up she just falls over. I have been using a syringe to give her water. If I lay her by the food she eats. On Tuesday I gave her a couple drops of straight corid on her beak. She is still pooping blood and wont stand. I just made her some scrambled eggs and she is eating them. So my question is this actually coccidiosis or something else? Is there something else I should be doing for her? I don't want to give up on her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also I wanted to add all the chickens in my coop including this girl are vaccinated. The babies in the garage were from a local breeder so they are not. Another thing I do not see any bruising on her. If I pinch her toes she moves her legs so they are not paralyzed she just won't stand.
Sorry about your pullet.

You are not giving vitamins in addition to the Corid are you?
Can you post photos of the poop?

For this girl, I'd give a direct oral drench of undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight 2X a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water (2tsp per Gallon of water). If she isn't drinking the mixed Corid water, syringe that into her several times a day to keep her hydrated and get the medication into her.

I would consider getting some Endocox or a Sulfa Drug to have on hand since the response to Corid is slow.

She's still a little young to be showing symptoms of Marek's disease, but it's possible that it's a contributor of decline. The vaccine helps stop formation of tumors, it doesn't prevent infection from the virus.

Hopefully she will improve.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/endocox-powder

Sorry about your pullet.

For this girl, I'd give a direct oral drench of undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight 2X a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water (2tsp per Gallon of water). If she isn't drinking the mixed Corid water, syringe that into her several times a day to keep her hydrated and get the medication into her.

I would consider getting some Endocox or a Sulfa Drug to have on hand since the response to Corid is slow.

She's still a little young to be showing symptoms of Marek's disease, but it's possible that it's a contributor of decline. The vaccine helps stop formation of tumors, it doesn't prevent infection from the virus.

No I am not giving her any vitamins. Should I be giving her some? I can't get a picture of her poop right now since I just cleaned her cage and butt before bed but I will try to get one in the morning. Okay I will try giving her more straight corid. I did give her some yesterday and today but only once. If she does recover from this is this something she will continue to get in the future? I will order some of that thank you! Oh okay that is good to know. I hope that its not mareks but if it is then should I be watching for certain signs on the rest of my flock? Thank you for your help!

Sorry about your pullet.

As of today she hasn't had any bloody poop. However she still won't stand? Her whole body shivers like when baby chicks are cold. Then sometimes she will randomly kick her legs a couple times. Should I put a heat lamp on her even though she is fully feathered? She will drink the water from the bowl when I hold it to her face. But she gets tired and will have to rest for a couple seconds before she drinks more she does the same thing when she is eating. Do you think she will ever stand again?

As of today she hasn't had any bloody poop. However she still won't stand? Her whole body shivers like when baby chicks are cold. Then sometimes she will randomly kick her legs a couple times. Should I put a heat lamp on her even though she is fully feathered? She will drink the water from the bowl when I hold it to her face. But she gets tired and will have to rest for a couple seconds before she drinks more she does the same thing when she is eating. Do you think she will ever stand again?
No I am not giving her any vitamins. Should I be giving her some? I can't get a picture of her poop right now since I just cleaned her cage and butt before bed but I will try to get one in the morning. Okay I will try giving her more straight corid. I did give her some yesterday and today but only once. If she does recover from this is this something she will continue to get in the future? I will order some of that thank you! Oh okay that is good to know. I hope that its not mareks but if it is then should I be watching for certain signs on the rest of my flock? Thank you for your help!

How is she doing now?

No, I would not give vitamins during the course of treatment of Corid.

When they are not well, extra heat can be beneficial, just make sure she's able to get away from the heat or monitor her very closely to insure she's not overheating.

It's good that you can get her to drink by holding the bowl for her, work on her drinking the mixed Corid water. Once she's hydrated, then offer her some wet soupy chick starter to eat.

There's no way to know if she will recover from this or not, all you can do is access her daily and hope she makes progress. Some birds for whatever reason just don't make it, if you lose, having a necropsy through your state lab will give you the best information.

How is she doing now?

When they are not well, extra heat can be beneficial, just make sure she's able to get away from the heat or monitor her very closely to insure she's not overheating.

It's good that you can get her to drink by holding the bowl for her, work on her drinking the mixed Corid water. Once she's hydrated, then offer her some wet soupy chick starter to eat.

There's no way to know if she will recover from this or not, all you can do is access her daily and hope she makes progress. Some birds for whatever reason just don't make it, if you lose, having a necropsy through your state lab will give you the best information.
As of today she is the same. She is still eating and drinking for me when I place her or hold her by the water/food. I have been giving her the extra corid 2 times a day as well as making she is drinking plenty of water. She still won't stand. She has these spells where she chirps and her legs go straight out. Her poop is still normal. I'm not sure if maybe something else is going on?

How is she doing now?

Also I have not put extra heat on her since she can't actually move much on her own. I believe the only time she is actually moving is when she has those spells and her legs kick.

Once you finish the 5-7 days of Corid, start her on B-Complex (1/4 tablet) and 400IU Vitamin E. Give her bits of egg to help with the uptake of E.

Hard to know what's happening with her. Sounds like it could be neurological as well.
Poor Girl!

Back
Top Bottom