coccidiosis

riyadh123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
my chicks just keep on getting coccidiosis. they have been given medicine twice now. what shall i do?

What medicine are you giving, what kind, how, and what doses?

Often coccidiosis is made worse by the brooder, coop, or run being wet. If they are living in something wet, you can try drying it out. I know if the weather sets in wet it can be next to impossible to dry out a run. Just do the best you can if they are living in something wet.

If you are using Corid, make sure you are using the extreme dosage. I think it is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon but check their Canadian website for correct poultry dosage. Use it for one week given to ALL of your chickens. Mix it with the food so that you make sure they get some of them medicine in their system. Only give the medicated water (no fresh water during the treatment). Vitamins, electrolytes, etc. should be avoided for several weeks as they may make the problem worse.

Change the litter in the brooder often (like several times a day to keep them from walking on it). Clean everything when you change the litter (water, food dishes, etc.). And avoid picking up your chicks while they are being treated as you could be part of the problem and you don't want to stress them. Make sure to change your clothes often.

And finally, increase the heat slightly but no so much that they are panting. You want their energy going into getting well, not staying warm.

My chicks had this same problem. But after increasing the Corid to the correct extreme dose and following quarantine like procedures, it went away.

I hope this helps your babies get better. One last tip: make sure that you are not confusing this with just normal loose stool, which can be just a way for them to cool off.

How old are your chicks? Do they have access to being on the ground. They usually will build up immunity to the coccidia strain in your environment by 10-12 weeks. Some recommend treatment with full strength Corid (amprollium) for 5 days, then 1/2 strength for 5 days-then off 5 days then 1/2 strength 5 days, and so-on. Every country has their own medication. They need exposure to the ground also, and conditions need to be clean and dry. You cannot sanitize everything since it is everywhere outside, but they will eventually become immune. The more they are outside in fresh grass, the better they will be. Keeping them in a brooder for too long is bad.

my chicks are 5 weeks, they have access to ground. should i have let them out later?

My advise would be to keep their litter as dry as possible as the other person said (which is very hard to do sometimes). Use the deep litter method as soon as possible. Always try to keep the ground covered where they are housed with something like pine shavings, grass clippings, leaves, etc. Thats very important because they can pick cocci back up from bare ground. Another thing, when I was researching cocci I read that bleach will not kill it. Use ammonia to clean the water dispenser and feed containers. It is best to get them outside and on the ground as soon as you can. I also highly recommend that you start them on fermented feed immediately. It will help them a lot. Good luck to you.

What medicine are you giving, what kind, how, and what doses? Is the ground wet? If you can’t give us information, we can’t help you much.

I give mine dirt from the run at day 2 or 3 while they are in the brooder to introduce the protozoa that causes coccidiosis so they can build immunity while they are young. They also get any probiotics the adults have and the dirt acts as grit. Coccidiosis is most dangerous when they are living in something wet. That contributes to the life cycle of coccidiosis. The problem from coccidiosis comes in when the number of protozoa get out of hand. As long as the numbers stay small, they are not harmed and they develop immunity.

whats fermented feed

It is feed that has been allowed to ferment just like the fermented food we eat (like buttermilk, yogurt, sour kraut, etc). You can ferment your chickens feed just the same.
All you do is put the feed in a container (not metal), pour water in it to wet all the feed (plus a little extra water because the feed will absorb the water), stir it really well, then set it aside until it ferments. It is not necessary but I add buttermilk to it to speed up the fermentation process. If you are interested I can tell you more and there is also a whole thread on fermenting feed. It has great health benefits for animals as well as people.

Back
Top Bottom