Coccidosis in vaccinated hens

Thassa

Songster
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Adirondack Park, NY
I took a stool sample to the vets office this am to have her check for worms since the girl's laying is starting to pick up and I would rather throw out 12 eggs now instead of 25 eggs in a month or two if they need to be wormed. The sample I took came back positive for Coccidosis which is quite confusing to me.

My flock has either been vaccinated or broody raised outside and the sample was from a 2 year old hen I know was vaccinated at the hatchery. Not a single bird is sick, I just did a poop board cleaning and don't see any sign of blood. I know there are different strains of Coccidosis, does the vaccine not cover all that a chicken might have? Corid is on order.

Also, is Corid okay for my duck?

I took a stool sample to the vets office this am to have her check for worms since the girl's laying is starting to pick up and I would rather throw out 12 eggs now instead of 25 eggs in a month or two if they need to be wormed. The sample I took came back positive for Coccidosis which is quite confusing to me.

My flock has either been vaccinated or broody raised outside and the sample was from a 2 year old hen I know was vaccinated at the hatchery. Not a single bird is sick, I just did a poop board cleaning and don't see any sign of blood. I know there are different strains of Coccidosis, does the vaccine not cover all that a chicken might have? Corid is on order.

Also, is Corid okay for my duck?

It is normal for a fecal sample to contain a few cocci on the microscopic slide. However if the microscopic slide is loaded with cocci, that's when there's a problem and birds will need treatment. If that were the case your birds wouldnt be acting normal, they would be at deaths doorstep.
The same is true for ecoli bacteria; every chicken has the bacteria. It's when it gets out of control is when it causes serious problems.

Back
Top Bottom