Coccidosis treatment plan

AgnesBee1989

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
Hello!

I have three chickens that around 6 months old. We have had ongoing issues with coccidosis and while two seem to have a decent immunity. One that I got at 8 weeks seems to cycle through it over and over again.
In the last month we have completely covered the floor with rubber to stop recontamination through the soil and cleaned it with ammonia, rinced and dried and replaced bedding.
Then we have treated all chickens with amprolium as per instructions (for the millionth time for two weekend) then every 4th day as a preventative. As soon as I stop treatment, chicken no 3 starts to go down hill. So off to the hospital I've set up in the room under my house with a heat pad. This time I tried sulpha D for the first time with a great result. So while she is away from the other chickens, I re-clean coop. After two days of treatment I reintroduce all together and they seem to be going okay, however chicken 1 and 2 seem to now have the runny poo! I can see little spots of blood too. So straight back onto the amprolium for all! So, the advice that I'm looking for is what do to next? I don't want to give sulpha to all if I don't need to due to the eggs. What treatment plans have worked for others? Amprolium doesn't seem to be cutting it and their coop and run is so clean!

@AgnesBee1989 Welcome to BYC.
There 9 types of coccidia that can infect chickens. Two of them cause blood in feces. Amprolium is ineffective treating the two that cause blood in feces. A sulfa drug will treat those two types of coccidiosis as you've already found out.
I recommend that you treat all 3 with the Sulpha D per instructions.
From what I've read, there's a 21 day egg withdrawal period with Sulpha D. I've also seen withdrawal periods with other Sulfa products from 10 days up to 45 days.

Thank-you! This is super helpful and I will start on the sulpha D with the whole flock tomorrow and use natural based supports as a preventative. I'll update progress after the course :)

@AgnesBee1989 Welcome to BYC.
There 9 types of coccidia that can infect chickens. Two of them cause blood in feces. Amprolium is ineffective treating the two that cause blood in feces. A sulfa drug will treat those two types of coccidiosis as you've already found out.
I recommend that you treat all 3 with the Sulpha D per instructions.
From what I've read, there's a 21 day egg withdrawal period with Sulpha D. I've also seen withdrawal periods with other Sulfa products from 10 days up to 45 days.
Hi Dawg. I was hoping you could please help me. I've just completes the course of sulpha d and there has been improvement. However this is a photo of one chickens droppings. Is this worms? Would really appreciate some advice

Attachments

• 20230701_093252.jpg
    20230701_093252.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230701_093241.jpg
    20230701_093241.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 5
It's sloughed intestinal lining mixed with tubular shaped feces, not worms. If it continues, try to find the bird that excretes it and dose her again with the Sulpha D.

Back
Top Bottom