cochin been limping for months...

frizzleman74

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Fairfield County
My 4 1/2 month old cochin has been limping since Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that when i was putting them up on the roost at night to help teach the, that she fell on her foot wrong. I secluded her for a mothn in a small cage, but nothing go better. Shes been out of her cage for a bout a month now and still no signs of improvement. I tried to put her in a splint last week, but i just really dont know what is wrong with her. I noticed that the leg that is injured's joint is bigger then the others. Allso the bottom part of the leg after the joint seems to be inward. She hobbled around fine, and there are no signs of pain when touching her leg. Im so confused and really dont know what to do. Should i cull? Has her leg been growing with this injury so theres no hope for recovery? Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong. Ill take a couple pictures if that will help. Thanks!

It is possible that she had a break that did not heal straight. If she gets around alright and does not seem like she is in pain then I suppose you can just let it be. I have read about chickens that did fine with one leg missing. I don't really see any need to cull.

I took a look at your BYC page. Pretty chickens - I like the way you documented their weekly growth.

Do you notice whats wrong with her leg, should i try a splint?
LL

What a pretty hen. That is quite a pronounced inward bend of the lower leg. If it is already healed, I don't think a splint will really help. I'm glad she is able to hobble around okay. Maybe others will reply with more input.

Back
Top Bottom