Cochin butts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smiley, Nov 22, 2010.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    I really wanted to get some Cochins but was told that their butts constantly get dirty and need cleaning. We are looking to add some sweet, child friendly bantams to our flock and I have read the cochins have great personalities. But, our birds free range through grass all day and need to be hardy and low maintenance. I don't want to be constantly cleaning butts. So, is it true that they are messy birds? Sorry for my ignorance!!!

2. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I have no problems with my cochins. They pretty much take care of themselves. I think they are the best breed you can get, but I'm kinda partial to mine!

3. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Have never cleaned our cochins butts.. they stay soft and puffy on there own [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Here's my Cochin's butt, no dirt...all fluff! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Their feet get dirty if you keep them on dirt.

6. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Hurray!!!!!! Thanks, guys!!!

Jeneric, thanks for photo!

Ok, I am all in for this breed now!!!!!![​IMG]

7. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    I tried looking for a pic I have of my Cochin's butts, but I don't have any. Sorry, but I have never had to clean any of my Cochins' butts, and I used to have 7 of them. Now down to 6.

[​IMG]
    However, from this pic, you can see how his feet feathers can get wet. We live in rainy WA state, and since I don't show or breed, I really don't mind if his feet feathers are wet, if he doesn't mind. When he feels like getting dry, he hops onto a perch in the chicken house and dry himself off. I do think the rain and wet feet do NOT faze him at all, nor any of my other Cochins. I think your friend might have been a bit too cautious about Cochin butts.

8. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    SNORT! I have a bunch of fuzzy butts and have never had to clean any of them, not just the Cochin's butt. And if I had dirty butts I'd know because I pick them all up and cuddle them regularly. I do get chicken tracks on my Tshirts from grubby feet if they've been playing in the dry lot for the horses. I love love love my Cochin, love the way she looks, acts and so on. I also love my Polish, hysterically funny lookin birds, and my Wyandottes, and my Americaunas and my Buff orps...LOL! I love 'em all![​IMG]

No Cochin in the pic, but that Wyandotte has a mega fuzzy bum and she's never dirty!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have a bantam Cochin, and her booty has lots of dangles. It may be a result of her lifestyle, as she has spent 2/3 of the year hogging the nest box, pretending to be doing something important. I just trim up the feathers in that area to help keep her clean.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I agree, normally, no problems but sometimes broodies get messy behinds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by