Cochin coop for 6 help ~

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
I don't have the chickens or chicks yet but my husband and I were in the process of figuring out a coop/design for one. We have a small ish backyard (more like it's taken up by trees .. and odd placement of things before we bought the place).

The whole yard is fenced and has a decent of tree coverage, and I have a border collie who has been begging for a job during the day (I have two but the girl is more of a lounger than a worker.. haha). So while I do and am looking for a secure run with the coop.. it doesn't have to be overly large as the breed I'm planning will be far too large as adults to be carried off and unable to jump the fence.

I started looking at coops and just got over whelmed. I'm getting cochins but I've no idea where to start. I do know we plan to move in 4-5 years so if possible.. a stable coop that may come with us.
My biggest worry is that we've never built anything like this and I have doubts in how handy my husband and I are haha..

send help.. <3

If you cant build your own,,,, then there are other options. The better coops are quite pricey,,, The more affordable coops are quite insufficient in size, and security. They all overstate the amount of chickens they hold.
Here is my advice for a descent coop,, at a reasonable cost.
Consider a Garden Shed converted to coop. You would need to do the conversion yourself. Mainly;;;; Install sufficient ventilation. Install roosts in the interior, as well as some nest boxes. For 6 chickens,, you only need 2 nest boxes. If you plan on raising chicks under a broody,, then opt for an additional nesting box.
Your coop would also need some windows to allow for daylight,, as well as cross ventilation during hot weather.
Let me know what your thoughts are,, and I and others can guide you thru the process.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

If you cant build your own,,,, then there are other options. The better coops are quite pricey,,, The more affordable coops are quite insufficient in size, and security. They all overstate the amount of chickens they hold.
Here is my advice for a descent coop,, at a reasonable cost.
Consider a Garden Shed converted to coop. You would need to do the conversion yourself. Mainly;;;; Install sufficient ventilation. Install roosts in the interior, as well as some nest boxes. For 6 chickens,, you only need 2 nest boxes. If you plan on raising chicks under a broody,, then opt for an additional nesting box.
Your coop would also need some windows to allow for daylight,, as well as cross ventilation during hot weather.
Let me know what your thoughts are,, and I and others can guide you thru the process.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Yeah the chicks would be inside and with a brooder. I have a full sunroom to have space for that here.

Hrm I shall look into this. I'm sure we can pull it off for modification. I just didn't want to keep putting off getting chickens when we know for sure we'll be staying put for several years (I put it off last year cause we thought we were moving this year haha.. )

I was looking at this.. but over all I can buy a kennel run and fix the top myself to be hawk safe (not that a hawk is going to carry a 8 to 12 pound chicken off.. but hey you never know).

A hawk will not necessarily carry a heavy chicken away. Will kill it and eat it right in that place. Hunger does make predators go to extremes, so best to be on the safe side. Of course, if a hawk sees a choice between a large, and small chicken,,, yes it will choose the smaller. And carry away a distance:hit
On the subject of garden sheds,,, also consider and look into Plastic ones. They are a little trickier to work modifying,, but can be done.,
I currently have my coop from a children's' playhouse I modified. It is about to be replaced with a larger coop I will make from plywood. I am able to do all the work,, but being slightly up in age, my energy level is limited.
I don't have a picture handy at the moment. New computer, and my pictures from long ago were on previous computer. (crashed) But I know where I can find in my older threads. Would take me some searching. I can post pix here in a day or so.

A hoop coop would work in many environments and is one of the more economical builds.

If you really want a coop that can be moved with you, then a study shed would be the other suggestion, as those can be "picked up" and moved on a truck. Or some folks on here have been enterprising enough to build their coop on a trailer base so it can be taken with them, but that would definitely be a more specialty build.

hey if it works!

yeah my husband isn't liking the one from tractor supply. Gonna propose the garden shed idea.. mainly to keep from building something from scratch. We're in a small town so getting boards and stuff measured and cut somewhere would be a small nightmare. Dx

Also good point on the hawks. Luckily we're in town but close to the woods and there is enough wild rabbit to keep anything from being hungry haha... I do know I have a snake (not sure type, just found the shed) in the area so I'll for sure need to think about that. Don't mind some eggs going missing later.. snakes keep mice and rats away and if I have to pick after growing up with cattle.. would rather deal with moving a snake than a rodent problem.

A hoop coop would work in many environments and is one of the more economical builds.

If you really want a coop that can be moved with you, then a study shed would be the other suggestion, as those can be "picked up" and moved on a truck. Or some folks on here have been enterprising enough to build their coop on a trailer base so it can be taken with them, but that would definitely be a more specialty build.
I was looking into a hoop coop design.. just ease of build and material wise. Least for a first try at this haha. ^^;

I'll see what the husband wants to do. I know he said if we got a shed it would be going with us.. but we were putting a new shed for the garden tool on hold in order to get chickens and a coop together.

Back
Top Bottom