Cochin crosses?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by michickenwrangler, Jan 18, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    What breeds are good to cross with a cochin? Large fowl

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What is your end goal? Do you want a breed that lays better than a cochin, or that has a certain color pattern?

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I cross up my colors with my standard Cochins but I have never bred another breed with them. I like to mix the colors and get some cool patterns with some bizarre colors to boot but I never have wanted to make anything more mixed than that. You could try to make some Sizzles or Frizzles or Frazzles or whatever.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Cochin type but a better layer. We have Gold Comet hens and a cochin roo and DH gave me the go ahead to get an incubator [​IMG] I know he doesn't want any more roos, but I'm wondering what type of hens might be good to cross with him.

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I crossed a partridge cochin roo and a buff cochin hen and the chicks are very neat looking [​IMG]

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I had my Buff Orps in with my Black Cochin Rooster when we first got Chickens, I have a daughter of that cross:

I thought I had a picture of her on my computer but I don't, she has clean legs and is very very fluffy, her head and neck are Buff and rest is black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by