Cochin noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shyromance, Nov 21, 2009.

1. shyromance

shyromance New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    I have two cochins...they were born in April, and already quite big. They are supposed to be females. One, i know is because my rooster chases after her and tries to mate, but the other, she will make this loud noise..she sounds kinda like a goose. Most def not a crowing noise. My rooster so far hasn't gone after her, that i've seen anyways. Any idea why she makes this noise?

2. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My Blue Cochin pullet is super quiet, UNLESS you chase her down and pick her up and then she squeals like you are killing her [​IMG] My Cochin rooster squeals a little bit too until I hold him close and pet him and then he relaxes [​IMG] I know she freaks out because she is not used to being held and with all that squealing that she makes, I don't want to pick her up [​IMG]

So far, my rooster only mates with the one pullet that is already laying eggs. My other Dominique and Cochin pullets haven't started laying yet [​IMG]

-Hughster

3. shyromance

shyromance New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    she does this for no reason at all...she will be walking around, and all of a sudden make it...and sometimes she makes it when you chase after her sister.

4. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Is it kind of like a phlegmy "AAAHHH!!" noise?

My bantam cochin rooster will yell at me with that kind of noise. It's not a crow at all. It's kind of like his... hello. If I haven't seen him in a while he will 'yell' at me. [​IMG] Sometimes he 'yells' at someone else when he sees them. Is this what you are talking about? And sometimes he just randomly yells. I don't know what's up with it but I just assumed all roosters yell every once in a while lol.

If you post pictures I could help you with gender if you'd like.

5. shyromance

shyromance New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    kinda...it really sounds like a goose...here is a pic...shes about 4 months old..i figured if she was a rooster she would be crowing by now.

[​IMG]

6. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Your Cochins should be more like 7 months if they were born in April. Not 4 months.

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My cochins are actually pretty quiet. The roosters have the most pathetic crows. The only time they really make noies is when I pick them up.

8. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have 6 cochin hens. All are pretty quiet except one. She is always loud. She does this like screeching but raspy at the same time noise. She's also the only one who will lay her egg as she walking, wherever she is at the time. Everybody else will use the nesting box. She's my weirdo.

9. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I have 3 Cochins, all Bantams. The roo (hatched in April) has a loud *frequent* crow. And was obviously a rooster by about 3 weeks of age. His hatchmate has been laying for about a month. I don't know if bantams are different from standards, but the roos get combs very early. Yours is definitely a girl!!

10. eggburt

eggburt New Egg

Sep 7, 2012
    my partridge cochin makes a squeek type noise. we wondered if something was wrong with her, but she seems o.k.. she is about 10 mos. old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by