Cochin question

CESOrtega

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Are Cochins known to be particularly poor fliers?

Our Cochin pullet (15 weeks) can't seem to get off the ground more than her tiptoes. She can't get on the roost with our SLW and BO who are her same age.

Is it just her body type and feathers or is mine just a prima donna? It's pitiful to see her looking up at her sisters, wanting to be there, too, but not being able to get to the roost.

It really depends on weather you have a bantie or a standard, and wether the bird is more egg-laying geared, or show geared. My show birds can't even hop over a 1 1/2 foot fence, save one who's slightly on the thin side. But birds who have an industry layer's build (longer legs, tighter feathers + larger wings) often have no trouble clearing short fences. but then again, sometimes cochins are just plain lazy fluff balls
lol.png

She is standard and I doubt she is show quality...got her from a man who gets them from a hatchery. I think she might just be a bit of a prima donna. She injured her leg and spent a week on bedrest in the house so I think we might have spoiled her. She doesn't like to be outside in the cold, either. Screamed so loud last night we had to bring her back inside and keep her in the box we had her in while she was injured.

Wonder who is the sucker here, us or her?

Back
Top Bottom