Cochin Rooster attacks us daily -

My answer to sustained aggression is the stew pot, that being said, I have a roo that was very nice and respectful then all of a sudden lost his feathered mind and attacked me, at first I tried the fighting back w/ whatever was in my hand once thought I had killed him he walked funny all day kept shaking his head and slept alot, but did live and repeatedly would attack me, not everytime I entered the yard so it would lull me into security then all of a sudden he was back at it again, the only thing that saved him was I didn't have a gun yet (the way I was going to kill for processing) anyway one day he came at me and I had the water hose in my hand so I sprayed him w/ the nozzle on jet, I aimed for the head b/c I was so angry and I sprayed him all day every time he got w/in water range and kept spraying until he was out of hose range, (I call it waterboarding) well that was a couple of months ago he hasn't attacked me since.

I agree with fried green eggs. you need to make him believe that you are boss.
smack.gif

another way is to reward none aggressive attitude with food. I have taught my hens to come when called and i feed them regularly but i only feed them by hand so if they want food they have to come to me and if the are aggressive i tap them on the head and give them nothing so they learn that Aggression = no food and respect = food
hugs.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the water squirt and have been feeding them, but not by hand. I will give that a shot too. We just acquired 12 baby hens that we need to join in with the others. I am curious to see how the roo welcomes them, or not. Have a great week!

Back
Top Bottom