Cochin rooster crows

no roosters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 10, 2011
Austin
Do Cochin roosters have a loud crow. My wife does not want any roosters for fear of annoying our neighbors. I am have 5, 6 week old Cochins and I am afraid that they may all be males. Does their crow carry very far? Thank You for your feedback.

Up until a few weeks ago, when he was killed by some visiting dogs, I had a Cochin roo. His crow was almost as loud as my Brahma roo. Neighbors all around report being able to hear both boys. Crows carry on the prevailing wind quite a distance.

No, there's no way to de-crow a roo. They will crow every few minutes during daylight hours. At night, too, if they can see a light on somewhere.

Depends on your definition of loud, but yes, cochins can and do crow just as loud and proud as any roo will. Are you permitted to have roos where you are? If not, you either need to consult with your neighbors to see what they'd think or start looking for homes for them if they are boys....or plan on serving them up for dinner. If you are allowed roos, then you still should probably talk to the neighbors and get a feel for where they'd stand on it.

You won't know until they crow, but roos have the potential to crow 24/7. Ours only does so in the morning (starting anywhere from 4AM-5:30AM) and carrying on about 1-2 dozens crows per hour until mid-morning. After that, he usually only crows is he perceives a threat or hears a sound that may be misconstrued as a crow. We don't let him out of the coop until 7AM, though, so it muffles his early antics, and there is an arc light nearby that does illuminate the coop and run all night (fortunately, it doesn't seem to matter to him).

Depends on your definition of loud, but yes, cochins can and do crow just as loud and proud as any roo will. Are you permitted to have roos where you are? If not, you either need to consult with your neighbors to see what they'd think or start looking for homes for them if they are boys....or plan on serving them up for dinner. If you are allowed roos, then you still should probably talk to the neighbors and get a feel for where they'd stand on it.

You won't know until they crow, but roos have the potential to crow 24/7. Ours only does so in the morning (starting anywhere from 4AM-5:30AM) and carrying on about 1-2 dozens crows per hour until mid-morning. After that, he usually only crows is he perceives a threat or hears a sound that may be misconstrued as a crow. We don't let him out of the coop until 7AM, though, so it muffles his early antics, and there is an arc light nearby that does illuminate the coop and run all night (fortunately, it doesn't seem to matter to him).
Fortunately I am allowed to keep roosters in the city I live in. The only real rule about chickens that I have been able to find is that their dwelling must be at least 50 feet from any neighbors house. My coop and run are just over 50 feet from one neighbor's house the other neighbor is well away from the coop and run. I am not worried about either of the neighbors calling the police as one of them has chickens and the one that lives closer to the coop and run just built a 2 story house in their back yard without pulling any permits. Needless to say I don't think either one will be notifying any authorities.

Unfortunately the big determining factor on whether I get to keep the roos will be my wife. She does not want any males. She thinks it is inconsiderate to have a roo that will crow and annoy our neighbors. I think the real reason is that she likes to sleep in and when our neighbor had a rooster it annoyed her that it would crow when she tried to sleep in on the weekends.

I guess all I can do is hope that I get a "quiet roo" which I know is unlikely, or have 5 homegrown chicken dinners. Mmmmmmm delicious.

Well, if they're all males, you're either going to have to NEVER introduce any ladies (because they will do epic battle unless you have quite a bit of property and a minimum of 8-10 hens per roo), or you'll need to get rid of all but 1-2 depending on how many chickens you want/can have. So, unfortunately, you may need to eat/re-home a few anyway.

So far as ingratiating your wife with a potential male, start socializing them all with her now. Male or female, they're still adorable when young and quite funny. If she forms a bond with them, she'll be less inclined to want to ditch them. Besides which, you will get used to the crowing. My DH and I sleep right through morning crows any more and our coop/run is right against our house, 20 ft from our bedroom window. So you may have a chance...
wink.png

So far as ingratiating your wife with a potential male, start socializing them all with her now. Male or female, they're still adorable when young and quite funny. If she forms a bond with them, she'll be less inclined to want to ditch them. Besides which, you will get used to the crowing. So you may have a chance...
wink.png
She has been holding them and loving on them since we picked them up from the post office. The only problem is that she favors the Russian Orloff girls that I ordered for her, because she really wanted some since I first showed her a picture of them. Every day that goes by she seems to be more and more receptive to the possibility of keeping one rooster, but that is the one thing that she said never would happen. I think I may get lucky and get to keep 1 rooster, but we will just have to wait and see what happens. Fortunately she is starting to like how goofy all the cochins look running around with their feathered legs and feet. My only reservation is that if I do get to keep one rooster I would like it to be a breed that I chose rather than one that was forced upon me. Oh well I guess if she learns to accept one then there is the possibility that she will realize that they are not so bad.
fl.gif
I guess that only time will tell.

My Cochin roos have a pretty robust crow (I have 2 of them), but they aren't constant crowers. They'll let a crow fly when I let them out in the mornings, and a few times throughout the day, but even with 2 of them they aren't annoying. It is still very possible for your wife to sleep in on the weekends if you keep a roo. Put some curtains in your coop to keep it as dark as possible. If you post up some pictures of your little Cochins, we might be able to help you figure out how many guys you have in the same bunch. I keep LFs, and they're pretty easy to sex by 6 weeks old. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom