Cochin sneezing

How on Earth did she manage that? :eek:
I've checked her nostrils, but I can definitely do it again. Luckily, she loves to be held so it shouldn't be too difficult.
I have NO idea. It was up there pretty far, too. I was really worried about her breathing and sneezing. This is my cuddly chicken, too. She objected to tweezers near her nose (for some reason) but I was able to get it without too much trouble.

I’m probably going to go ahead and check/clean all of them this weekend now. Just in case.

I hope your chickie is okay! ❤️

I have NO idea. It was up there pretty far, too. I was really worried about her breathing and sneezing. This is my cuddly chicken, too. She objected to tweezers near her nose (for some reason) but I was able to get it without too much trouble.

I’m probably going to go ahead and check/clean all of them this weekend now. Just in case.

Wow. Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Chickens always get themselves into the strangest situations!

I hope your chickie is okay!

Thanks! Me too!

Well, tonight I was out by the chickens, and my cochin was sitting on one of the roosts. She sneezed, and breathed through her mouth once or twice. Then she settled back down. About 2-3 minutes later, she sneezed again, got up, and scratched at her nose. She sneezed a third time, shook her head, breathed through her nose about 2 or 3 times, then sat down. She didn't sneeze again while I was there, which was probably about 20 minutes.
I checked her nostrils earlier today, and I didn't see anything in them. I did, however, notice that they are EXTREMELY small. They are basically just little slits. The nare (I think that's what it's called) also looks quite flat. My other cochin bantam's nostrils are a bit bigger, and the nare is more rounded. Could this be causing the problem? Maybe her nostrils didn't form quite right? If you want, I can try to get a picture.

Well, tonight I was out by the chickens, and my cochin was sitting on one of the roosts. She sneezed, and breathed through her mouth once or twice. Then she settled back down. About 2-3 minutes later, she sneezed again, got up, and scratched at her nose. She sneezed a third time, shook her head, breathed through her nose about 2 or 3 times, then sat down. She didn't sneeze again while I was there, which was probably about 20 minutes.
I checked her nostrils earlier today, and I didn't see anything in them. I did, however, notice that they are EXTREMELY small. They are basically just little slits. The nare (I think that's what it's called) also looks quite flat. My other cochin bantam's nostrils are a bit bigger, and the nare is more rounded. Could this be causing the problem? Maybe her nostrils didn't form quite right? If you want, I can try to get a picture.
What have you tried? I’m still learning. I wish I knew all of the tricks, but I’m not quite there yet.

I cleaned her nares really well with saline and a Q-Tip, got some electrolytes in her system, and used VetRX on her comb, wattles, and under her wings. She perked up and seems better today, so I think the main problem was the piece of straw. I’m still keeping a really close eye on her, but her breathing seems back to normal.

What have you tried? I’m still learning. I wish I knew all of the tricks, but I’m not quite there yet.

I cleaned her nares really well with saline and a Q-Tip, got some electrolytes in her system, and used VetRX on her comb, wattles, and under her wings. She perked up and seems better today, so I think the main problem was the piece of straw. I’m still keeping a really close eye on her, but her breathing seems back to normal.

Well, I haven't tried very much yet. I put some vitamins in the water, but besides that I haven't done anything. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with her yet, so I don't want to do something that will hurt her more.

Besides the sneezing she acts totally normal. She runs around, scratches, pecks, has a great appetite, and her poop looks normal. I've never seen any fluid come out of her nose, and her nostrils look clear.
Do you think she's sick? If yes, what should I do to help her?
She does not sneeze when she's eating. I have heard her sneeze while jumping off a roost, while running, and while scratching in the dirt. If I'm out with them for an hour, I'll hear her sneeze about 3 or 4 times.
I have not seen any nasal discharge at all, nor have I seen any watery eyes, or bubbles. I haven't heard any gasping or wheezes either.
I doesn't really sound like she's sick - she's active, eating/drinking, running around, has no mucous or other obvious symptoms except for an occasional sneeze.

I would make sure there's good ventilation in the coop and that her crop is emptying overnight.

I doesn't really sound like she's sick - she's active, eating/drinking, running around, has no mucous or other obvious symptoms except for an occasional sneeze.

I would make sure there's good ventilation in the coop and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Thank you, that's a huge relief. She's one of my favorites, so I really don't want her to get sick.
The coop has very good ventilation.
I can check her crop early tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom