Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

Here are my two girls... does anyone know if they are bantams or standards??

Kiwi: about 5 to 6 months old, not sure. She is probably mixed with silkie as she has 5 toes on each foot... but no crest on her head, so am not sure? Also is she considered a true blue or a mix?

P1010868.jpg

P1010896.jpg

(Kiwi is in the back of the photo, her sister Violet is on the left):

P1010879.jpg

Violet: about 4 to 5 months old, again not sure... what color is she? I see some auburn starting to come in around her neck...

P1010864.jpg

P1010867.jpg

Quote:
Whew! I was hoping they were standard size, although they're not very big right now... they don't come from good stock so they may end up being runty.

Violet could be a blue mixed with red?

Also does anyone see any SILKIE in Kiwi, the darker cochin?

Thank you!

Nicky
smile.png

Years ago I got a pair of bantam chickens from a lady who had many. She just called them banties, but they all looked just like the pekin/cochin bantams except they had rose combs and laid very small white eggs...but swear other than the rose comb and laying white eggs they look like the bantam cochin...ever heard of this in cochins?

Okay, I had to post some pics of my girls too.

This is Nosy Chicken who is just exactly what her names says as well as a Silver Laced Cochin.

WebNosyChick.jpg

This is Swiffer, a Gold Laced Cochin. She is the sweetest and largest of my hens and a very good mommy as well.

IMG_6251.jpg

And last, but not least, is Elvira, a Partridge Cochin. This picture doesn't do her color justice - she is actually much darker.

WebIMG_7262.jpg
Elvira isn't my largest Cochin, but she has even the rooster beat in the comb/wattles department!

Okay now I want silver laced cochins, omg.... Got eggs???

The Con of Cochins??? They're too darned friendly. I feel like a christmas tree with feathered ornaments every time I let them out... they're only wee hatchery birds but wow, that is going to be addictive.

Only have one, a blue bantam, but I love her! Not getting eggs yet but what funny girl! Cracks me up and quite the talker. Her and her buddy, a polish/silkie cross, will follow me into the garage if I leave the door open. They will not stay outside!
Her name is Denim. Her buddy is Star.
I guess they are too comfy in their little winter home!
love.gif

6219_img_0561.jpg

6219_img_0557.jpg
6219_img_0572.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom