Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

Been raising cochins for 20 years. Some pros and cons I have experienced:
Pros
They are very personable.
They show exceptionally well and win if they are conditioned well.
They come in a variety of colors to suit most people.
They are fairly hardy.
Just darned pretty to look at.
Excellent broody hens.
Large hens lay a good sized egg when they are laying.
Most have excellent dispositions.
Good ones come from reputable breeders.

Cons
Seasonal layers.
Once they start to get broody it is near impossible to get them to stop.
Large hens easily break their own eggs, I use them to set duck and goose eggs.
Difficult to keep clean without lots of work.
Males can be mean in all breeds and cochins are no exception, they are big enough to hurt you if they decide to.
Must have vent fluff trimmed in order to get any fertility, bantams are more difficult to breed than the large fowl.
Large males of good type tend to be clumsy breeders.
Very addictive breed of poultry, if you have them you'll all too often hatch far too many of them because the chicks are so pretty. I have been guilty of hatching over 400 in a year and I know other addicts who hatch over 600 to 700 each year.
Bad ones are easily found and harder to get rid of, buyer beware.

I don't have the standard size Cochins, but I do have the bantam, and I adore them. They are friendly, docile, good with other breeds that are put in with them, and I have one hen that thinks she's a lap dog. The moment you go outside, she magically appears in your lap, lol. She's talkative too and we discuss everything from the weather to how the boys are treating her and the other ladies, lol. Some of the hens are friendlier than others, but all are docile and sweet natured. The Cochin roosters are my best roosters. They are my peace keepers and for the most part are well behaved gentlemen. The only con I see is that sometimes the roosters can be little buttheads. I have no issues with fertility, and my ladies lay VERY well. Up until this nasty, disgusting heat started, they were laying more eggs each day than we could ever dream of eating. In my bantam coop I have 8 Cochin hens, 1 BO hen, 2 Silkie hens, a standard hen, and a Silkie mixed hen, and I was getting about 12 eggs daily. But then this heat struck, and then one of the Cochin girls went broody, followed by my Silkie mix, and then a Silkie, and then another Cochin hen, so I now have 4 broody hens, and who knows who'll go broody next! But my girls are so docile that my 10 yr old DD can reach into the nest box and pet them and offer them treats without them going psycho. My little Mottled hen knows she will get food and treats put in her box with her, and that all she has to do is get up to get water or a little more food when she needs it. I love my Cochins and I'll have them for MANY more years to come!

I love this thread!
big_smile.png

How BIG are standard cochins ..... what are they like!!! PICTURES!

Quote:
I have to agree with this it about sums them up i have 4 cochin's all in all 2 buff 1 black and a frizzle. About 6 months ago we nearlly lost one of them as she went broody and wouldnt eat or drink we had sum bought h/eggs under her in the end we pulled her off and lost the eggs id rather keep my hen n lose her.

I love their feathery legs and feet
lol.png

here is a pic of my frizzle cochin 'Fuzz'
Fuzz2.jpg

Can someone tell me how you trim for breeding and fertility? I have some hens and roos that are VERY fluffy and I am worried my eggs wont be fertile...Any help would be appriciated. Thank you in advance

I got various polish, silkies, and cochins (all bantams). They are 4 days old. The cochins stand out as the sweetest little things ever! The curious polish will run over to check me out, the silkies are indifferent, and the cochins are lovey dovey and the first to come over to cuddle. LOVE them. They were my least favorite for looks, and I got them because they were the only kind available that had frizzle genes. I didn't know they were going to make me fall in love with their sweet personalities!

Back
Top Bottom