Cochin vs. Buff Orp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Which do you think is the calmest and the best with babies?

2. WFF

WFF Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    In my experience the Cochin but I'm sure it depends on the individual hen.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I only have one Cochin and she hasn't laid yet. And is very standoffish. My two Buff Orpingtons are excellant layers. they also are standoffish...but since I don't have a roo I don't know about brooding ability. However, I've read that cochins make good mother hens and a lot of people use them as brooding hens..

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My Cochin is the sweetest girl (towards me anyways), I can't wait to give her some chicks to raise.

5. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I only had one buff orpington and she does of sickness before she even laid her first egg.... My Cochin hen has raised one chick (it was one chick out of two eggs) and she was fiercely protective of it. She never let a piece of fluff of his head be harmed. (Although he rubbed a bald spot on his head getting out of the egg so he didn't have much fluff up there to begin with!!) She let him pick food off of her beak, and one of my other hens tried picking food off her beak, and the Cochin snapped! I find this funny because my Cochin is tiny, and the other hen is big!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by