Cochin with recurring respiratory issues

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Good morning BYC fam!

I have something I thought I might run by y'all in case I'm missing something. I have a lovely White Cochin named GoGo Boots, sweet as she could be.
full

When GoGo was a few days old, she got real sick, but I was able to nurse her back to health with egg and electrolytes. She's out of Meyer, born April of last year. Every so often, she starts having some kind of respiratory problem, where she makes loud sounds that I assume are raspy breaths. They get louder and faster if she's bothered (like if one of her flock mates are hassling her). When she gets like this, the other chickens tend to not let her eat, probably because it's clear she's under the weather. However, it always clears up with one night of isolation and some egg/electrolytes/VetRx. The only other symptom she has that I've noticed, which usually occurs prior to her getting all raspy, is poop clinging to her butt fluff. None of the other chickens, not even my other White Cochin, Disco Boots, have ever exhibited signs of this illness, so I'm starting to wonder if my girl here has some kind of sensitivity. However I haven't switched out anything in their coop recently, and the last 'episode' started a couple of days ago and ended this morning after I brought her in with one of her Silkie buddies for some R&R and food away from the bosses. Now, it's possible I let the coop go a few days too long without a good cleaning, because I've been super busy with gardening, and she insists on sleeping on the floor with the Silkies (who have not gotten sick), but I utilize poop boards so the litter stays relatively clean. So beyond being extra vigilant with coop cleaning (which I will do), I'm wondering if I can do anything else to help keep her from having this problem? I'm just a little worried that each time this happens it might be doing some permanent damage to her respiratory tract and that over time this could make things far worse.

Any ideas? To be concise, here's everything about her case not buried in a wall of text:
*recurrent respiratory distress since she was a chick, makes loud raspy sounds similar to an old leaky horn
*goes months without problems
*might be tied to sleeping on the floor
*clears up quickly with isolation
*only other symptom is feces clinging to underfluff
*eats, drinks, and acts normally, except maybe being a little easier to intimidate by her flock mates.
*current treatment has been isolation, cooked eggs, electrolytes, and VetRx which clears up the breathing issue over night.

If anyone has had similar problems or has an idea for a prophylactic treatment course, I'm all ears (or would it be eyes?). Thanks, and have a lovely weekend!

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Respiratory diseases are usually carried for life, stress can spark symptoms to reappear.
Was the disease ever ID'd and confirmed by lab tested swabs?

No. It's never gotten so serious that I've had to take her somewhere. I didn't think it was a pathogen because none of the rest of my flock, even her broodmates, have ever had a similar issue. I did lose one chick from that group when they were little, but I'm 100% sure that was due to pasty butt. Is it possible to swab and send it off somewhere? Or would I need to take her to a vet for that?

Back
Top Bottom