Cochins beak too long

breeannahayden

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013

Should I trim this hens beak? It seems to be too long and curved downward. She seems to be eating good an looks healthy. Just need some opinions. And if I do need to, how?

Does she have a wry or cross beak? I think I would be trimming that, sooner or later it will be a problem. Hard to see on the picture where the blood supply is, it might be easier to hand file it if you are worried about quicking her. It's just like trimming dog toenails, take off white or clear tip. You can use dog nail clippers, but it's easy to take off too much and hit the blood supply, have Quik Stop or flour handy in case you quick her. If you have a Dremel type grinder those work well. Whichever way, just take off a little at a time every couple of days until it is a length where she is more comfortable.

You should clip her beak as soon as possible. If her beak gets caught on something (chicken wire, etc.) it can snap and leave a bloody mess. I agree with the poster above; her beak is like a dogs toenails or our finger nails. You can trim beaks with dog nail trimmers, fingernail trimmers or Dremels. Then you can file down rough spots with a nail file.

Some chickens don't like their beaks trimmed, and some chickens that aren't handled much might be a bit more timid when being held and trimmed, so a helper is good to have around-- if your bird is flighty.

Back
Top Bottom