cock biter

sherrihargrove

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
i have a 13 pound black australorp cock that bites. I am so close to butchering him it's not even funny.while opening the gate to let everybody out for a while he saw me at the gate and it was on. Now I have a large wound in my hand, little beast.

13 pounds? Thats a nice rooster. He is just protecting his girls. Maybe interact with him and give him treats. If he is attacking he is doing his job to protect, but shouldnt attack you. Just let him out and run for it. Good exercise. But, dont take a life just because you dont like him ;3

I have Silkie rooster that grew up to be a real brat. I originally wanted to get rid of him, too, because I was so frustrated with him, but looking back now I think I would have really regretted that. He's saved my hens from hawks, falcons, and cats more than once before, and after spending a little more time with him, he's really grown on me (even if he still likes to beat me up). Granted, he's only around 4 pounds, but I do understand what it's like to get constantly bitten, scratched, and spurred. If you can, wear tall boots and gloves around him. Try picking him up for a while every day and petting him and feeding him treats. Maybe crouch down next to him.

i have a 13 pound black australorp cock that bites. I am so close to butchering him it's not even funny.while opening the gate to let everybody out for a while he saw me at the gate and it was on. Now I have a large wound in my hand, little beast.

Do as you wish with your Astralorp, after all he belongs to you. However 90% of all problem roosters are the result of mistakes or omissions made by the rooster's owner.

I am sorry but chickens are dumb animals and their whole world is governed by instinct. The quickest way to train a rooster to hate or fight you is to do things or act like you are either a danger to the life of or to the honor of that roosters' harem.

Things like catching a hen who would rather not be caught, or children running and playing near the coop or pen thus freighting the flock can train a rooster to view humans as a threat and treat you accordingly.

What I find curious is how can a 13 pound Astralorp cock manage to fly high enough to wound you in the hand unless you were trying to catch him?

I would crouch down but I like my face and he hates me. If I walk into the run with a stick or rake just holding it he backs off. Never hit him but he doesn't like my yellow rake.

I have a rooster that has challenged me twice in the last few months. You can't let him think he's winning. I grabbed my litter rake both times and batted his butt back in his pen. The first time happened when I re-homed the alpha roo and left the harem to him. The second was when I moved a large dog kennel in the pen to introduce new babies. I was refilling the water dish next to the kennel and the chicks started squealing. So, I kind of understand but I won't let this be common behavior. He's just about a year old and feeling his oats. If it gets to the point I can't go into my chicken pen without getting attacked, he will be soup. In fact, after the first incident, that's what I named him. I totally disagree with those who think you're suppose to live with an aggressive roo. And I don't believe aggressive roos should be bred or re-homed which leaves only one good purpose for a mean rooster. There are plenty of good roosters out there that need homes, no need in perpetuating a bad one.

Last edited:
I feel your pain mine has been renamed too his name now is "chicken and dumplings". He will be delicious with mashed potaoes and gravy.

my giant NHR rooster he is almost twice the size of the hens of the same age and, he was friendly , then some time after he turned 6 months old he became fresh & bit me once on the back of my leg , that caused quite a large raised lump, so every time i saw him coming around doing his little side ways dance thing at me ,I tell him your being a bad birdy Chicky boy and I would tossed a large round black rubber food pan at him like a FRISBEE, need less to say , he got the point , and he stopped looking for trouble and now im the only one he listens to, so when i tell him to get back or go away he does, then i tell him , good birdy Chicky boy , except when he gets around other people he turns aggressive, but i can stop him, so we have an understanding, he & I , he leaves me alone and i will leave him alone.....lol.. i never chase him or scold him if he is being good, i always treat him well & talk to him and give him treats,telling him he is a good birdy when he is .....lol... he seems to like that ,so that has worked well so far. some times I go out after dark just to go talk to him & i pet him on the back only when its dark & he cant see to bit again....lol... i sneak a pet
lol.png
tongue.png
and he seems to like that
thumbsup.gif
...lol....
wink.png

I have a rooster that has challenged me twice in the last few months. You can't let him think he's winning. I grabbed my litter rake both times and batted his butt back in his pen. The first time happened when I re-homed the alpha roo and left the harem to him. The second was when I moved a large dog kennel in the pen to introduce new babies. I was refilling the water dish next to the kennel and the chicks started squealing. So, I kind of understand but I won't let this be common behavior. He's just about a year old and feeling his oats. If it gets to the point I can't go into my chicken pen without getting attacked, he will be soup. In fact, after the first incident, that's what I named him. I totally disagree with those who think you're suppose to live with an aggressive roo. And I don't believe aggressive roos should be bred or re-homed which leaves only one good purpose for a mean rooster. There are plenty of good roosters out there that need homes, no need in perpetuating a bad one.

i totally agree...!!!!!!!!!!!!! temperament is genetic , so using a mean roo to proporgate more of the same is not a good idea , even though its hit & miss with those mean genes, but with my rooster , i have won over him, so the fight is over , and wont be a next time, if he knows whats good for him ,if ever there is a next time ,i will pen him up were he cant do any harm . and find a nice rooster to take his place,
wink.png
smile.png
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom