Open mouth breathing, treated with dewormer, now lethargic

SlvrScrl79

Hatching
Feb 21, 2024
Black Australorp almost 2 yrs old.
Open mouth breathing and wheezing. If left alone it wasn’t very noticeable. If we picked her up or she was chased by a rooster, open mouth breathing and wheezing was very noticeable. She had no other symptoms. No watery eyes, no runny nose. She was otherwise normal, out and about with the rest of the flock. The rest of the flock are perfectly fine.

I tried to find a veterinarian to see her. The only one I could find was out of town. I spoke to him, he wouldn’t be back to be able to see her until today or tomorrow (2/21-2/22). It must be tomorrow, I’ve been calling all morning and it’s going straight to voicemail. He must be traveling.

I decided to use an equine dewormer to worm my entire flock on Monday 2/19. I was thinking maybe she had gape worm since she had no other symptoms. I weighed all my chickens. I know the dose from what I read was .23 ml per pound. I rounded up to .25 to make it easier. She was about 4 pounds, so I gave her 1 ml of safe-guard fenbendazole 25 gram paste 10% (100 mg/g).
Yesterday 2/20 she was no longer open mouth breathing or wheezing. She sounded normal. As the day progressed I noticed she was sitting by the coop, by herself. She was no longer out and about with the rest of the flock. This morning she is still sitting in the roost. She does have diarrhea. I was checking on her using my coop cam, I saw her as she used the bathroom, it came squirting out.

I have considered giving her amoxicillin, in case it wasn’t a parasite issue. I have 500 mg Aqua Mox Forte (500 mg Amoxicillin capsules). I haven’t done that because I am unsure how to dose and I don’t know if that’s what she needs.

Does she lay eggs? Have you seen any soft shell eggs laid recently? Can you pick her up, avoiding pressing on her crop, and notice if she has lost weight or if her keel/breast bone is more prominent? Is her tail position up or down? Does she have a swollen lower belly under her vent?What do her poops look like, and pictures are welcome? I would repeat the wormer for a total of 5 days in a row. Amoxicillin dosage is 250 mg or half a capsule twice a day given orally for 7-10 days. Can you get her eating some mushy wet feed and drinking water?

Does she lay eggs? Have you seen any soft shell eggs laid recently? Can you pick her up, avoiding pressing on her crop, and notice if she has lost weight or if her keel/breast bone is more prominent? Is her tail position up or down? Does she have a swollen lower belly under her vent?What do her poops look like, and pictures are welcome? I would repeat the wormer for a total of 5 days in a row. Amoxicillin dosage is 250 mg or half a capsule twice a day given orally for 7-10 days. Can you get her eating some mushy wet feed and drinking water?
She does lay eggs. I haven’t seen anything unusual with her eggs. I didn’t feel anything unusual in her belly. Her breast bone is more prominent. I believe her tail position has been up.
I finally did get a hold of the veterinarian. He can see her tomorrow at 11. I don’t think she’s going to make it. I’ve tried giving her electrolytes, using a syringe, one drop at a time. Her poop is for sure diarrhea. I don’t have pictures.
We brought her inside a little while ago to keep a closer eye on her. She’s breathing and her heartbeat seems good and strong. But she’s laying on her side and she keeps moving her head in funky ways. This makes me think it was aspergillosis. But, the coop is cleaned regularly. No other birds have symptoms, and if it was aspergillosis, why did her breathing improve after giving the wormer? I was just googling to see if I could find sterile saline to give her subcutaneously.
I’m not even sure that will help at this point. She doesn’t look like she’s doing so well.

Back
Top Bottom