Cockateil health help

CelticArche

Chirping
Jul 6, 2016
I've got a cockateil male who's tounge is swollen, and he's not moving very well. Is he dehydrated or maybe had a stroke? My mom found him upside down on the bottom of the cage. He can't fly. We're attempting to give him pedialyte. (Sorry for mispelling, I'm on a tablet with no spell check help.)

Hello and welcome to BYC!

I am sorry about your Cocketiel.
hugs.gif
Yes, dehydration will cause a swollen tongue. I would bet that if you did find him laying upside down on the floor of the cage, he may very well have had a stroke. There isn't much you can do for stroke in birds other than give supportive care. How is he today? If he is well enough, you can set him up in a small basket with towels surrounding him to keep him upright. Keep the food and water right there in beaks reach. However stroke is not treatable. You might give him a tiny tiny piece of a baby aspirin to help thin the blood to prevent more stroke. A tiny chip from a baby aspirin a few times a week.

Do you have a vet you can take him too? Not all vets know enough, but some do.

Keep us posted!!

Alas, my great uncle, who owns the bird, refuses to take any of his birds to the vets. :(

We tried to save him, but he passed away. Probably better for him that way, but it doesn't make it any better. I feel bad, but thank you for saying that is was probably a stroke. It makes me feel less guilty over his care if it was something I didn't directly have a hand in. The poor thing had been missing part of its wing for years and years.

Back
Top Bottom