Cockeral not getting the job done. Not even trying

KelseyBoxer

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
South Jersey
Hi BYC. This is just a question, not an emergency. Ok, heres the background. Hatched Black Copper Marans last May. (ended up with 5 hens and a cockerel) Raised them in a look/no touch pen, fully exposed to my older flock of 1 rooster, 6hens. (they had become aggressive egg eaters, even the rooster) I kept 2 of the older hens, rehomed the rest. Merged the youngsters with the 2 older girls so they could show them the chicken ways. Things were great in the fall. The pullets came into lay and Rusty had a good time with the 2 older hens. When they molted and stopped laying in the fall, all mating stopped. The pullets are all laying now and the older girls started back up. (at least 1). Rusty has not been doing his job. Hes young but I saw him doing the deed in the fall. I even incubated a few of the older hens eggs.
Maybe he is being shy, but I have 18 eggs in my incubator right now on day 14. All clears!:( Will Rusty start getting busy as spring gets closer or do I need to start looking for a new breeder?

Thank you for the replies. I guess I will just have to be patient. My other rooster would "visit" with several hens as soon as I opened the door in the morning. Maybe my husband will have a talk with him. :D
There is no competition for him either. He is the only male.

Back
Top Bottom