Cockeral With a Head Wound (pictures included)

Just thought I'd post an update.

Finn is doing well and actively crowing. Somebody decided to prank me this morning and put his kennel in my bedroom. I was jolted awake, scared half to death, when he crowed his annoying high-pitched crow. Man, his crow drives me nuts (an inside joke, but I'm sort of serious).

He was out in the run most of the day. He normally could have easily flown the short wall of the run but must have been pampered by his injury (thank goodness, it was a little cold for a chicken chase).

I didn't treat his wound, I forgot. Yes, it was careless of me, but the past is the past and nothing is going to change that. He had fresh water with a pinch of epson salts in it and food from his normal diet (All Flock Feed).

Seems like he's on the mend, but I will continue to post updates on here. Thank you all for your support and advice!

I didn't treat his wound, I forgot. Yes, it was careless of me, but the past is the past and nothing is going to change that. He had fresh water with a pinch of epson salts in it and food from his normal diet (All Flock Feed).
any particular reason you put espon salts in the water? It makes my girls have diarrhea if they drink espon salt water

any particular reason you put espon salts in the water? It makes my girls have diarrhea if they drink espon salt water
I read somewhere that it boosts their activity after they lose a lot of blood, but after the 50th crow in the garage I switched his water to normal water without epson salts (that was earlier this morning).

Edit: and I haven't seen any signs of diarrhea, but thanks for the info!

I read somewhere that it boosts their activity after they lose a lot of blood, but after the 50th crow in the garage I switched his water to normal water without epson salts (that was earlier this morning).

Edit: and I haven't seen any signs of diarrhea, but thanks for the info!
When mine are hurt or need to be brought in, I always try to have some poultry electrolytes on hand. It seems to perk them up, and helps them pull through shock. my feed store normally sells little packs of powder for 99¢, but last time they only had a resealable bag for $5. Not too expensive, but I’m broke and I enjoy consistency in pricing.

iI had a hen with her leg torn open, and we gave her a quick espon salts bath. During the bath, she had one, maybe two drinks of the water, and five minutes later when I was blow drying her, she dropped a huge, gritty puddle of diarrhea right onto my towel. She spent a week in my basement and had normal poops the rest of the time, but that first pile took me by shock. Just wanna make sure other people know before they find out the messy way :thumbsup

sounds like you’ve done a great job with Finn btw, glad to hear he’s pulling through

Sorry this is very late, but I thought I'd give one last update. Finn is fully recovered now, though he still has some dried blood on his comb that I couldn't get off.
Anyways, I put him in the coop and he and my other rooster (Bob) immediately started fighting. Bob, who used to be Beta rooster, was now Alpha and didn't want to give up his new roll. I normally don't interfere with fights, but this one kept going on and on and on. After it had been going for a minute or two I pulled Finn away and separated him again.

I hadn't planned on keeping Bob for long anyway, so I am now trying to find a good home for him. As soon as he is gone Finn will go back in the coop and live with the flock again.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice and for helping me get a happily ever after!

Back
Top Bottom