Cockeral with established flock

Omijo

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
I was recently gifted a 3 month old barred rock cockeral and pullet. I have an established flock of 3 golden comets that are 2-3 years old. Should I be concerned about the age difference? I imagine he will have a difficult time establishing dominance and worry about disturbing the order of the flock.

I introduced them and the hens are being very vocal and picking on them.

I think it’s a good thing that you have mature hens to put that cockerel in his place while he grows up. Cockerels that grow up with ONLY chicks their own age don’t learn proper manners. Your hens will establish the pecking order and then get along with him.

How long ago did you get your Barred Rocks? How have you went about introducing them?
We just got the BR cockeral/pullet pair yesterday. It was a total surprise. The folks that "gifted" them assured me they would be fine in the same coop. I reluctantly took their advice. I now I have them separated in a crate because they were getting beat up. They can see each but not contact each other.

Typically I let my hens free range most of the day but decided to keep them in their run to get acquainted with the new birds.

Last edited:
We just got the BR cockeral/pullet pair yesterday. It was a total surprise. The folks that "gifted" them assured me they would be fine in the same coop. But, I have them separated in a crate now because they were getting beat up and the hens were not happy.
What you'll want to do is use the see-no-touch method. Separate the Barred Rocks and make sure they can still see the others. Do that for a couple weeks or so, then slowly start integrating them together. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
Do you have another big enough area to be able to separate them though?

I think it’s a good thing that you have mature hens to put that cockerel in his place while he grows up. Cockerels that grow up with ONLY chicks their own age don’t learn proper manners. Your hens will establish the pecking order and then get along with him.
Thanks Finny! That does make sense and is a relief to hear.

Ive heard that golden comets don't live very long due to their high egg production so I consider them relatively old for the breed. I do still worry a young feisty rooster will really stress them out considering their relative age and the small flock size.

I see you have two threads, did you mean to post in this one? ->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cockeral-with-established-flock.1596151/

What you'll want to do is use the see-no-touch method. Separate the Barred Rocks and make sure they can still see the others. Do that for a couple weeks or so, then slowly start integrating them together. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
Do you have another big enough area to be able to separate them though?
Thanks for advice! We have plenty of open space for free range but will need to build something to keep them separate for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom