Cockerel acting depressed and uncomfortable

It could be, growing birds should have chick food until fully grown, about 10 months.
I’m not sure how old he is but definitely not that old, generally my chicks move off chick feed as soon as they’re able to eat hen food (by their own choice) since they all free range together, I guess biscotti is just a special little guy. I’ll clean out the old small waterer and fill it up for him with the add ins though

I’m not sure how old he is but definitely not that old, generally my chicks move off chick feed as soon as they’re able to eat hen food (by their own choice) since they all free range together, I guess biscotti is just a special little guy. I’ll clean out the old small waterer and fill it up for him with the add ins though
All your birds should be on a high protein, low calcium feed considering you have a mixed flock.

All your birds should be on a high protein, low calcium feed considering you have a mixed flock.
I can confirm they have lots of protein based off my hens egg, and yes low calcium but oyster shells for the girls. They get a couple handfuls of mealworms every couple days as well and I make sure all the chicks get some as well

The color of the yolk. Orange is healthy hens yellow is unhealthy. In the winter when they can’t forage for bugs they’re yellow but in the spring and summer when they’re getting lots they get veryyyy orange
With different ages and sexes an "all flock" or "flock raiser" is a good option, supplemented with oyster shells for the hens.

Alfalfa and green grass contribute some to a darker yolk. But orange and red pigments in foods will contribute more to an orange yolk than anything else. Bugs and other proteins wouldn't affect the yolk color.

Here is a link, which also has a reference to an interview with Cornell University where they talk more about pigmentation in a yolk.

https://www.newworlder.com/dan-barber-feeds-his-chickens-red-peppers-to-make-red-eggs/

We have all that, but I was thinking putting the chicken probiotic powder in their food… do you know if mixing it into yogurt would work? Or does it need to stay a powder
I think it would be fine to mix in with the yogurt. This round of chicks that I have have not been given any kind of chick starter. They get fed with the big chickens once in the morning and once in evening. If they're hungry in between, then they go look for their food out in the yard. I've never had a problem with weak shells or yellow yolks before.

Back
Top Bottom