Cockerel acting depressed and uncomfortable

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’ve been watching and checking my cockerel for a few days, he’s standing with his wings lowered and not moving around as much as usual, he’s kind of puffed up and only occasionally follows any of the flock. I’ve checked him for broken bones, dislocated joints, lice, worms, pecking, plucking or fighting and there’s nothing. Other then he behavior he looks completely fine. I do have another rooster in the flock but he’s super sweet and will feed my cockerel. What’s going on with him? I can’t take him to the vet it’s 100$ for a simple checkup here. I’ve seen him sunbathing a lot so he seems maybe cold but all my other chickens are fine even the ones much younger then him

Attachments

• IMG_8178.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg
    820.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    803.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    908.8 KB · Views: 9
Pretty boy. What's his diet?
He eats a mixture of whatever he finds free ranging (my neighbors and I don’t treat any of our plants with anything) the adult pellets, mealworms and chick feed but he seems to like chick feed the most

And yeah he is real pretty! Very sweet too, he’s a Swedish flower. I got him for free due to fighting with her other cockerel

He eats a mixture of whatever he finds free ranging (my neighbors and I don’t treat any of our plants with anything) the adult pellets, mealworms and chick feed but he seems to like chick feed the most

And yeah he is real pretty! Very sweet too, he’s a Swedish flower. I got him for free due to fighting with her other cockerel
Sounds ok. :idunno Have you felt his crop yet? Is he pooping?

I’ve checked his crop and it’s always empty when I remember to but I do see him eating and drinking occasionally, mainly chick feed or mealworms I had to hide the adult feeder so the dogs can’t get to it so its harder to see. So I’d assume he is
Maybe seperate him to be sure he eats and give him some vitamins

Maybe seperate him to be sure he eats and give him some vitamins
I’ve been blocking him from the chick food since he’s about the size of my smaller hens, but I let him back at it and he’s eating a lot of it. I’m wondering if maybe it was malnourishment? I’ll add probiotics and electrolytes to his food and water

I’ve been blocking him from the chick food since he’s about the size of my smaller hens, but I let him back at it and he’s eating a lot of it. I’m wondering if maybe it was malnourishment? I’ll add probiotics and electrolytes to his food and water
I personally don't think malnourishment. Sometimes chickens just get sick, like humans. There doesn't necessarily need to be anything "wrong" with them for them to just get sick. I would definitely separate and make sure he's getting vitamins as @nuthatched said. You could also give him some electrolyte water. I have a recipe if you'd like. Plain, raw yogurt is a good probiotic and you might also try adding a little apple cider vinegar to his water.

It could be, growing birds should have chick food until fully grown, about 10 months.

I personally don't think malnourishment. Sometimes chickens just get sick, like humans. There doesn't necessarily need to be anything "wrong" with them for them to just get sick. I would definitely separate and make sure he's getting vitamins as @nuthatched said. You could also give him some electrolyte water. I have a recipe if you'd like. Plain, raw yogurt is a good probiotic and you might also try adding a little apple cider vinegar to his water.
We have all that, but I was thinking putting the chicken probiotic powder in their food… do you know if mixing it into yogurt would work? Or does it need to stay a powder

Back
Top Bottom