Sneezy chicken/ RI or cold?

Jun 2, 2023
I have a satin silkie rooster that’s about 6-7 months old that’s been sneezing a lot. It’s been kind of on and off the last month or so. He also has an occasional running nose, when it does get runny the snot has a slight odor. It’s not dripping just damp looking. He’s not wheezing, breathing hard, no bubble or swelling in the face or neck.
We’re located in Oregon so it’s 40-50 degrees during the day and low 30’s at night. He’s feeding on layer crumble and a chick crumble, I’ve given him stress 911 vitamins you add the their water for the last couple weeks to try and give him a boost but it hasn’t seemed to make a difference. I even tried mixing herbs into his feed that I read were good for respiratory wellness. He’s pretty much the only one in the flock that’s been sneezing. It’s pretty aggressive sneezing most of the time, multiple fits a day every day.
Does anyone have an idea whether this is just a cold due to the weather change or am I dealing with a respiratory infection? Other than the sneezing he is completely fine, very active and rambunctious and eating a ton. Does anyone have an idea what else I could try to help him? I’ve included a couple pics of him being goofy but they give a good view of his nostrils and eyes and general demeanor.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpeg
    IMG_3039.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 17
Here's two articles that have lots of information. The fact that he's acting normal otherwise and not exhibiting other symptoms and that no one else has gotten sick is a good sign but snot with an odor can indicate he's fighting off some kind of infection. You might want to separate him from the flock and practice biosecurity until you cure him or find out what's causing it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/causes-treatment-and-prevention-of-chicken-sneezing.77453/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...espiratory-issues-infections-naturally.77235/

I have a satin silkie rooster that’s about 6-7 months old that’s been sneezing a lot. It’s been kind of on and off the last month or so. He also has an occasional running nose, when it does get runny the snot has a slight odor. It’s not dripping just damp looking. He’s not wheezing, breathing hard, no bubble or swelling in the face or neck.
We’re located in Oregon so it’s 40-50 degrees during the day and low 30’s at night. He’s feeding on layer crumble and a chick crumble, I’ve given him stress 911 vitamins you add the their water for the last couple weeks to try and give him a boost but it hasn’t seemed to make a difference. I even tried mixing herbs into his feed that I read were good for respiratory wellness. He’s pretty much the only one in the flock that’s been sneezing. It’s pretty aggressive sneezing most of the time, multiple fits a day every day.
Does anyone have an idea whether this is just a cold due to the weather change or am I dealing with a respiratory infection? Other than the sneezing he is completely fine, very active and rambunctious and eating a ton. Does anyone have an idea what else I could try to help him? I’ve included a couple pics of him being goofy but they give a good view of his nostrils and eyes and general demeanor.
I tried the attached for my silkie. Put it on the food everyday for about a month and sneezing stop.

Attachments

• A8785612-71BE-4789-BFC8-18EB2D2D899A.png
    A8785612-71BE-4789-BFC8-18EB2D2D899A.png
    876.1 KB · Views: 16
Here's two articles that have lots of information. The fact that he's acting normal otherwise and not exhibiting other symptoms and that no one else has gotten sick is a good sign but snot with an odor can indicate he's fighting off some kind of infection. You might want to separate him from the flock and practice biosecurity until you cure him or find out what's causing it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/causes-treatment-and-prevention-of-chicken-sneezing.77453/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...espiratory-issues-infections-naturally.77235/
Yes, I normally have a quarantine pen open but I recently picked up a trio of silkies and they still have a couple weeks of quarantine before I can integrate them with the rest of my flock. So I don’t really have a good space to quarantine. He’s been with the rest of the flock the last month however and nobody else is sneezing like him. Just another hen occasionally sneezes but I think it’s just from the sawdust in their coop as she doesn’t have a runny nose at all.

He’s pretty much the only one in the flock that’s been sneezing. It’s pretty aggressive sneezing most of the time, multiple fits a day every day.
When you notice the multiple fits of sneezing, what has he been doing - eating/drinking, dust bathing, another activity?
When are the fits most common?

With this lasting for a month or so, off and on, and all other birds are fine, then it may be something environmental.

Clean out his nostrils daily and see that his crop is emptying. Observe him and see if you can figure out what's affecting him.

When you notice the multiple fits of sneezing, what has he been doing - eating/drinking, dust bathing, another activity?
When are the fits most common?

With this lasting for a month or so, off and on, and all other birds are fine, then it may be something environmental.

Clean out his nostrils daily and see that his crop is emptying. Observe him and see if you can figure out what's affecting him.
The sneezing fits are definitely random, he’ll have it happen when he’s eating, drinking, laying in the coop and just scratching in the dirt. He had a couple periods where we would go a few days without any sneezing and I’d think he’d gotten over it and then he’d just start back up again. With the odor I’m kind of thinking he could have a very minor RI likely due to the cold that’s probably being irritated by the dust in their shavings. Other than just waiting for the RI to clear I’m not sure what else I can do for him. I know his crop is emptying bc I check him most mornings and he refills it everyday.

The sneezing fits are definitely random, he’ll have it happen when he’s eating, drinking, laying in the coop and just scratching in the dirt. He had a couple periods where we would go a few days without any sneezing and I’d think he’d gotten over it and then he’d just start back up again. With the odor I’m kind of thinking he could have a very minor RI likely due to the cold that’s probably being irritated by the dust in their shavings. Other than just waiting for the RI to clear I’m not sure what else I can do for him. I know his crop is emptying bc I check him most mornings and he refills it everyday.
You could try treating him with Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.
Keep his nostrils wiped clean and do check inside the beak for any lesions/mucous or canker.
The odor you detect is a bit of a concern, but it seems like that may come and go as well.

Keep his nostrils wiped clean and do check inside the beak for any lesions/mucous or canker.
The odor you detect is a bit of a concern, but it seems like that may come and go as well.
The odor definitely comes and goes. When he first got the sniffles it was strong and you could smell it just holding him. Then it went away completely a few times. Now it is just a faint fowl smell if I smell right on his nostrils. I do check him daily and only on really cold days is he snotty, witch I always wipe clean (he hates it lol) do you know where I can get tylosin? Do I need a prescription? And what is it used for?

The odor definitely comes and goes. When he first got the sniffles it was strong and you could smell it just holding him. Then it went away completely a few times. Now it is just a faint fowl smell if I smell right on his nostrils. I do check him daily and only on really cold days is he snotty, witch I always wipe clean (he hates it lol) do you know where I can get tylosin? Do I need a prescription? And what is it used for?'
I don't think you need a prescription from Jedds.
There may be other places too that sell it, this is just the one I'm familiar with.

https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=bafe785f9&_ss=r

The odor definitely comes and goes. When he first got the sniffles it was strong and you could smell it just holding him. Then it went away completely a few times. Now it is just a faint fowl smell if I smell right on his nostrils. I do check him daily and only on really cold days is he snotty, witch I always wipe clean (he hates it lol) do you know where I can get tylosin? Do I need a prescription? And what is it used for?
When cleaning the nostrils, try using a warm compress with some saline or 1 drop of Peroxide to help clear the mucous out.

Looks like @DLA gave you the link for the Tylosin, but the link was also in the post I made, that's why it's a different color.

Back
Top Bottom