Rooster acting drunk. No pooping for past 3 hours. No eating or drinking

Alilbit88

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
I went to the hospital and came back to check on the chickens. It’s not my property. I found the rooster barely able to walk. He’s wobbly and can’t hold balance. He can’t even get himself to sit and his head sometimes drops down. Usually he is really mean and won’t let you close without attacking, but I was able to grab him easily and cuddle and clean him. He seems conscious of what’s going on but physically cannot move right at all like disabled and wobbly. I haven’t seen him eat or drink I did give syringe with coconut water. Did someone hit him and caused injury or did he eat something bad? All the other chickens are fine. What can I do for him? I have isolated him with food and water but seems like he can’t eat or drink on his own. How can I feed an injured chicken that can’t eat? Syringe feed? This happened overnight. Combs are red.

It is certainly possible that he has been injured if he attacks people. He also could be sick, dehydrated, or suffering from a disease. Does he have any marks on him or his comb? Can you get some pictures of him? Does his crop have food inside of it? Does his beak seem broken or injured? Do you feel any air under the skin on his body, and is he having any trouble breathing? I would mix some very watery chicken feed and water, and add some bits of scrambled egg. Offer that up to his beak and get his attention. I would keep him isolated inside a wire dog crate near food and water, and check on him often. Look at and describe what his droppings look like.

I went to the hospital and came back to check on the chickens. It’s not my property. I found the rooster barely able to walk. He’s wobbly and can’t hold balance. He can’t even get himself to sit and his head sometimes drops down. Usually he is really mean and won’t let you close without attacking, but I was able to grab him easily and cuddle and clean him. He seems conscious of what’s going on but physically cannot move right at all like disabled and wobbly. I haven’t seen him eat or drink I did give syringe with coconut water. Did someone hit him and caused injury or did he eat something bad? All the other chickens are fine. What can I do for him? I have isolated him with food and water but seems like he can’t eat or drink on his own. How can I feed an injured chicken that can’t eat? Syringe feed? This happened overnight. Combs are red.
Sorry about the rooster.
Who does he belong to?
Can you ask the owner of the rooster to help you with him?

So we are on day 6 of me taking him home. The first day was terrible. No eating or drinking or pooping. He was completely wobbly. Head was droopy in the car ride, I had to wrap him in a cardigan and put him on my lap. At home his beak was open from breathing sometimes. He kept lifting his butt weird while sitting. Just sitting still like he’s in pain. No balance and loss of coordination. I gave him some 1cc of rooster booster and coconut water with less sugar. Thought he wasn’t going to make it. Next day he perked up and ate some mealworms! 10. I counted to see if he ate any and I saw them all missing. Then I see him pooping some watery poop. Then normal poop. So I made a salad with kale, mealworms and blueberries which are his favorite along with his feed. Long story short he is doing a lot better. He is eating and drinking and pooping normally again. I have continued the rooster booster 2x a day and the coconut water. However he is still wobbly when he walks. Like there is some loss of balance or weakness. It’s better than before but still not normal at all. What can I do?

Also how do I reintroduce him back to the flock? Will there be problems? There is another tiny rooster but they get along pretty well before. The tiny rooster is submissive and a scaredy cat but so adorable. Will they get along again? And how long of a time frame do I have before they dont?

It is certainly possible that he has been injured if he attacks people. He also could be sick, dehydrated, or suffering from a disease. Does he have any marks on him or his comb? Can you get some pictures of him? Does his crop have food inside of it? Does his beak seem broken or injured? Do you feel any air under the skin on his body, and is he having any trouble breathing? I would mix some very watery chicken feed and water, and add some bits of scrambled egg. Offer that up to his beak and get his attention. I would keep him isolated inside a wire dog crate near food and water, and check on him often. Look at and describe what his droppings look like.

So we are on day 6 of me taking him home. The first day was terrible. No eating or drinking or pooping. He was completely wobbly. Head was droopy in the car ride, I had to wrap him in a cardigan and put him on my lap. At home his beak was open from breathing sometimes. He kept lifting his butt weird while sitting. Just sitting still like he’s in pain. No balance and loss of coordination. I gave him some 1cc of rooster booster and coconut water with less sugar. Thought he wasn’t going to make it. Next day he perked up and ate some mealworms! 10. I counted to see if he ate any and I saw them all missing. Then I see him pooping some watery poop. Then normal poop. So I made a salad with kale, mealworms and blueberries which are his favorite along with his feed. Long story short he is doing a lot better. He is eating and drinking and pooping normally again. I have continued the rooster booster 2x a day and the coconut water. However he is still wobbly when he walks. Like there is some loss of balance or weakness. It’s better than before but still not normal at all. What can I do?

Also how do I reintroduce him back to the flock? Will there be problems? There is another tiny rooster but they get along pretty well before. The tiny rooster is submissive and a scaredy cat but so adorable. Will they get along again? And how long of a time frame do I have before they dont?

If you have a wire dog crate, that is the best way to either introduce him or keep the other rooster in while he is reintroduced. Has he been with the others at all during the last 6 days? Spending time with them during introducing will allow you to know if he is going to be bullied. There is always a little pecking when I have separated a hen from her flock, so use your judgement. Is there any way that you can fence those chickens away from yours, so they stay home?

Last edited:
If you have a wire dog crate, that is the best way to either introduce him or keep the other rooster in while he is reintroduced. Has he been with the others at all during the last 6 days. Spending time with them during introducing will allow you to know if he is going to be bullied. There is always a little pecking when I have separated a hen from her flock, so use your judgement. Is there any way that you can fence those chickens away from yours, so they stay home?
It’s an employee housing house and I don’t live on the property. No one was taking care of them and I happened to stumble upon them bc I knew someone who lived there. I am unable to be there except a few hours a day. The owners don’t care about the animals. And neither do the employees bc they feel it’s not really their responsibility. I have him separated but at my own house…all I know is they all have been there together for a long time before the property was purchased and used as employee housing. He is crowing nonstop at my house now though . What do u think it is that’s causing the imbalance/wobbly walking? It practically happened overnight.

It’s an employee housing house and I don’t live on the property. No one was taking care of them and I happened to stumble upon them bc I knew someone who lived there. I am unable to be there except a few hours a day. The owners don’t care about the animals. And neither do the employees bc they feel it’s not really their responsibility. I have him separated but at my own house…all I know is they all have been there together for a long time before the property was purchased and used as employee housing. He is crowing nonstop at my house now though . What do u think it is that’s causing the imbalance/wobbly walking? It practically happened overnight.
How do I upload videos? I have some pics of him today. He’s gotten better than he was 6 days ago but is still walking weird. But at least he’s not falling all over the place. FYI It’s been wet and raining outside. Suppose to rain tomorrow and Monday, even though I wanted to reintegrate him back tomorrow afternoon/evening time.

Attachments

• 4E3B8BC1-FE69-4A56-B7B8-EEA9C43221AD.jpeg
    4E3B8BC1-FE69-4A56-B7B8-EEA9C43221AD.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 8B86F4A5-EFA2-4D97-AD1B-40ADE62329EC.jpeg
    8B86F4A5-EFA2-4D97-AD1B-40ADE62329EC.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FB5781AE-5020-468F-8220-948C1E891C78.jpeg
    FB5781AE-5020-468F-8220-948C1E891C78.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 13
  • E80F99E6-68C4-4371-8E10-2ABCF85846BD.jpeg
    E80F99E6-68C4-4371-8E10-2ABCF85846BD.jpeg