Rooster acting drunk. No pooping for past 3 hours. No eating or drinking

Videos usually have to be uploaded to YouTube and made shareable with a link posted here. Roosters can hurt their legs jumping and running. Do you see any bumblefoot scabs on his foot pads? Mareks can happen, and signs of that are imbalance, lameness in one or both feet, curled under toes, among others. It is hard not to get overly involved with neglected chickens.

Videos usually have to be uploaded to YouTube and made shareable with a link posted here. Roosters can hurt their legs jumping and running. Do you see any bumblefoot scabs on his foot pads? Mareks can happen, and signs of that are imbalance, lameness in one or both feet, curled under toes, among others. It is hard not to get overly involved with neglected chickens.
Do u think it could be mareks? It happened basically overnight when I was gone for 1. 5 days. I knew his scales were bad when I first saw them. Wouldn’t he gotten worse by now if it’s mareks? Or could also be botulism. Or someone kicked him. I have touched the foot pads and they are soft. However the scales were def hard. I have rubbed Vaseline on them the past few days and some calendula cream(marigold extract cream for healing/burns/wounds)

I would not worry about it being Mareks at this point. There can be many things that may cause leg problems. Botulism is pretty rare, and it usually causes flaccid paralysis of the feet and legs progressing up the spinal cord to wings, neck, and eyelids.

Today:

Sunday night when I first discovered his wobbliness:(will update with video when uploads)

I uploaded 3 videos of his walking today (Saturday) if you have time.
It’s not as bad as it was on Monday but still wobbly and stiff.

Now (Saturday) He is eating and drinking, poops normal. But walking like the video but he is foraging in the backyard a little bit. But still wobbly.

Monday: was just sitting and breathing with beak open sometimes when I got him to my house and isolated him. Sitting like was in pain?? Not moving much. No eating or drinking. Falling down and wobbly. Couldn’t get on the ramp to the coop, let alone fly up on the roost. Head falling down in car ride.
Any ideas on what’s going on anybody???

Thanks

Last edited:
Thought he wasn’t going to make it. Next day he perked up and ate some mealworms! 10. I counted to see if he ate any and I saw them all missing. Then I see him pooping some watery poop. Then normal poop. So I made a salad with kale, mealworms and blueberries which are his favorite along with his feed. Long story short he is doing a lot better. He is eating and drinking and pooping normally again. I have continued the rooster booster 2x a day and the coconut water. However he is still wobbly when he walks. Like there is some loss of balance or weakness. It’s better than before but still not normal at all. What can I do?

Also how do I reintroduce him back to the flock? Will there be problems? There is another tiny rooster but they get along pretty well before. The tiny rooster is submissive and a scaredy cat but so adorable. Will they get along again? And how long of a time frame do I have before they dont?
Right leg is a bit weak, perhaps due to injury.
Take a look at the right leg and foot again for any green bruising and at the very back of the leg along the spur to see if there's an abrasion. With dark legs it's sometimes hard to see bruising, it can be very subtle.
His spurs are fairly long, so he may have bumped that one and it's very sore. Spurs that get hit or damaged can be painful, think of stubbing your toe or bending back a fingernail very badly, how it can be sore for days.

He's a big beauty. I'd try to continue with the vitamins. Since he's so large, he could probably get 2cc rooster booster daily, since the direct oral dose is 1cc per 3lbs of weight. Do you think he's about 5-6lb or maybe a bit more?

Give him some extra protein like egg, fish or meat. The mealworms are fine, but go easy on them. I'd focus on him eating normal poultry feed for most of his diet, but the treats you are giving kale/blueberries are o.k. in small amounts.

He looks to be in pretty good shape. Do you think you could keep him or bring the others to your place? Might work out better, but it's understandable that you may not have space/housing to do that.

Right leg is a bit weak, perhaps due to injury.
Take a look at the right leg and foot again for any green bruising and at the very back of the leg along the spur to see if there's an abrasion. With dark legs it's sometimes hard to see bruising, it can be very subtle.
His spurs are fairly long, so he may have bumped that one and it's very sore. Spurs that get hit or damaged can be painful, think of stubbing your toe or bending back a fingernail very badly, how it can be sore for days.

He's a big beauty. I'd try to continue with the vitamins. Since he's so large, he could probably get 2cc rooster booster daily, since the direct oral dose is 1cc per 3lbs of weight. Do you think he's about 5-6lb or maybe a bit more?

Give him some extra protein like egg, fish or meat. The mealworms are fine, but go easy on them. I'd focus on him eating normal poultry feed for most of his diet, but the treats you are giving kale/blueberries are o.k. in small amounts.

He looks to be in pretty good shape. Do you think you could keep him or bring the others to your place? Might work out better, but it's understandable that you may not have space/housing to do that.
Thank you for your response 😭😭😭😭😭
I think maybe he could be 5-6 lbs. I actually have been giving him rooster booster 1cc twice a day except for today. I went a little easy on him with the vitamins today.
I will probably cook some eggs tomorrow for him and the whole flock with some zucchini and spaghetti pasta as a treat.
I wish I could take them all home. It’s my dream. 😭😭 I quit eating meat bc of them. I’ve even looked at some houses in the boonies for sale. Bc the HOA and my neighbors might not be very happy with the nonstop crowing. I forgot to add, on Sunday when I found him like that he was not crowing at all. When the flock all left the run when I opened the door he stayed inside zoning out staring at like the sky?? The past 4 days??? He has started crowing. First 2 days not too much but some but now it’s nonstop lol.

Here he was on Sunday when I first saw him like that. I had forced him out of the chicken run bc I didn’t know why he was just standing there in a daze, not joining the flock. Until I realized what was going on. So I guess comparing these here to my other post, it seems like he is doing better. If you guys have any more pointers or advice feel free to let me know what’s going on. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Looks like he's improving some since you brought him home.

If you're giving him the RB twice a day for a total of 2ml per day, that should be fine. Good idea splitting it up, I'm sure it tastes like it smells:D

I would omit the pasta, that's a filler and not that great to give, especially if you suspect something is deficient in the diet. Choose the egg, fish or meat along with his normal feed. A very small amount of mealworms every once in a while.

So I bought him home and him and the small rooster and fighting eachother nonstop. Small rooster have blood on his comb. I have separate them. I put the big one in a rabbit hutch inside the chicken run. But they still trying to fight through it. I wrapped plastic vinyl around the sides. Bc the little chciken doesn’t like plastic. So he has quit going near it for now. I put him inside bc there’s predators here at night. What do I do now? How do I get them to get along again?

Attachments

• B0339F06-8F2A-4715-BBAD-9781CFD7BCE4.jpeg
    B0339F06-8F2A-4715-BBAD-9781CFD7BCE4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • E8B93880-1C2B-4F3B-8520-CC9383F10231.jpeg
    E8B93880-1C2B-4F3B-8520-CC9383F10231.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • AD002FEE-8A1B-4DD8-BE67-8DC86CA37AC7.jpeg
    AD002FEE-8A1B-4DD8-BE67-8DC86CA37AC7.jpeg
    981.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Roosters tend to fight. They may need to be kept separate.
They didn’t fight before. The small one was submissive and they both got along very well. It’s been 10 days since they had been separated. How long do I separate them?os this going to be a forever thing? I don’t know what to do! Bc they got along well before. I posted some pics in previous post also of the situation..

Back
Top Bottom