Cockerel Attempting to Mount Another Cockerel?

SchipAlong

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
British Columbia
When I bought chicks back in April I was unlucky enough to end up with what appears to be three cockerels (now 10 weeks old). They're currently sleeping in the house and going out into a portable exercise pen during the day, because my ladies are not interested in having a bunch of guys in their pen lol. It's unlikely I'll be able to keep them so they don't have real names, but to identify them I've just been calling them, from top to bottom, Rooster/Roo, Beefcake, and FemmeRoo.

The last one because I'm almost 100% sure that's a cockerel, but the way he acts and the way the others treat him is totally pullet. The two top guys spar quite a bit, but for the most part leave Femme alone. Femme is practically glued to Roo's side and follows him around obediently. It's very odd, because this is what Femme looked like at 8/9 weeks old! Very cockerel, right?

Okay, so on to the question. They're big enough now that I have to carry them outside one by one. For the last three days when I drop Femme into the pen this is what Roo does:
Beyond this bit of morning friskiness there are no displays of dominance towards Femme. It almost seems like the other two will even search out food for Femme. If not, they at least don't scold or stop him when he rushes over to see/peck at what they've found. Femme will also affectionately peck at the beaks of the other two. I read that when you have an all male coop it's not unheard of for higher males to select one as a stand-in hen, but is it is normal for the pseudo-hen to basically take up acting like one?
Knowing my luck I've probably just ended up with a chromosomal XXY roohen.

Oh yes, Femme is a roo ;-) I have had roos mount other roos before. They are Silkies, and Estel would mount Todd Johnson several times each day. It's just the bigger roos way of letting the smalelr one know he's dominant. Estel still mounts Todd, and there had not been any violence between them.
It's perfectly normal roo behavior :)
Beautiful boys!

Back
Top Bottom