Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone!
So this Monday I'm planning on getting a cockerel, as sadly the only two I had both passed away this year. 😔
I like having roosters around, and have never not had one. So a friend of mine has a few cockerels available. I'm not entirely sure how old they are, but they're under 18 weeks old I know, and they're mixed breeds. I know getting an older male would be better and I'd prefer it, but I'll take a shot at a young one.
My current flocks ages range from 1.5 - 8.5 years old, all are standard sized hens, and I have 14 of them.
What behavior should I look for when choosing a cockerel? How should I handle and raise him? Is it even a good choice to get a young male? I just want a well behaved boy around the hens and people. I know having older hens should help put him in his place if he's naughty.
Thanks is advance!

Young cockerels are usually a terror, only because there hormones are beginning to rage.

Without having an older rooster to guide them and putting them in there place. It's usually a bad experience for the flock.

Don't rely on your older hens to take the role of an older rooster. Older roosters have a pattern of behavior and are more assertive and alert when they need to protect the flock, even against a crazed cockerel.

It makes more sense to get an older rooster with your different age flock.

But if you must get a young cockerel I wouldn't keep him with the flock till he's close to a year old. This is to avoid stressing and acquiring unnecessary injuries on your flock.

Young cockerels are usually a terror, only because there hormones are beginning to rage.

Without having an older rooster to guide them and putting them in there place. It's usually a bad experience for the flock.

Don't rely on your older hens to take the role of an older rooster. Older roosters have a pattern of behavior and are more assertive and alert when they need to protect the flock, even against a crazed cockerel.

It makes more sense to get an older rooster with your different age flock.

But if you must get a young cockerel I wouldn't keep him with the flock till he's close to a year old. This is to avoid stressing and acquiring unnecessary injuries on your flock.
Okay, thank you for the advice!
I'll consider getting an older rooster, but they're just a bit harder to find.

So I ended up getting a cockerel today! He’s a Maran mix and is 4 months old.
His behavior seems great so far, he hasn’t shown any aggression at all yet, and the previous owners hens would hang around him, so he seems to be a good boy! My Dominique seems to have already taken a liking to him, haha.
If things down work out with him, we are able to take him back to his previous owner.
IMG_3734.jpeg

He’s a cutie! I had a situation similar to this where I found myself without a rooster after always having one, so I went and got a cockerel that was six months old. My flock at the time was between 8 months and 2.5 years old, but I kept him in a separate pen isolated from my hens for I believe two weeks before I set him up in a see no touch pen where he stayed for another 2 weeks before letting them in with each other for a supervised time. My hens did well and thankfully put him in his place when he got too excited. Now it’s been about a year and he’s settled in great.

He’s a cutie! I had a situation similar to this where I found myself without a rooster after always having one, so I went and got a cockerel that was six months old. My flock at the time was between 8 months and 2.5 years old, but I kept him in a separate pen isolated from my hens for I believe two weeks before I set him up in a see no touch pen where he stayed for another 2 weeks before letting them in with each other for a supervised time. My hens did well and thankfully put him in his place when he got too excited. Now it’s been about a year and he’s settled in great.
Thank you for sharing! Makes me hopeful things will work out for me!

Back
Top Bottom