Established flock stressed by new additions

Giersons

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Hi there everyone!

I need some advice… I have four 2yr old barred rock hens that I have had since hatch. In August, I decided to add to my existing flock 4 new chicks. Now 3 pullets and 1 cockerel living amongst my existing flock… sort of. I did the see but no touch for 6wks. No bullying and my older hens have accepted the pullets, BUT, my teenager of a roo is feeling all his testosterone and starting his “dances” and establishing his dominance over his pullets.
He seems to be creating a separate flock. He really doesn’t like “his girls” interacting with the older hens. He chases them away, accept for my alpha hen who squashes him and he then gives up. Never any blood or injuries, but just stresses my older hens out because they have to be on the look out for the butthead. They do all go to bed together no problems and have established their spots on either side of the coop.

My older hens are towards the tail end of their molt, and haven’t laid in 2-3months now. I know they are stressed, not only because of molt, but because of my cockerel. Everyone is eating grower feed, 6+ feeders and waterers in coop and run. They free range happily as long as hens don’t get to close to pullets.

Should I separate my cockerel to allow the other hens to bond with the pullets, and if so for how long?

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 50
I separate the cockerel if he is causing distress in the flock. This is typical cockerel behavior and he may improve with time. In some flocks the dominant hen will stop this kind of behavior but in some cases us humans have to intervene for the sake of the flock.

I separate the cockerel if he is causing distress in the flock. This is typical cockerel behavior and he may improve with time. In some flocks the dominant hen will stop this kind of behavior but in some cases us humans have to intervene for the sake of the flock.
That’s what I was leaning towards. Should I let him roost with them at night still or no?

You can do that if he doesn't constantly try to move them while roosting. I've also seen people put roosters in a large cage during the day to allow the hens to be able to still see him and put the rooster in the coop at night. I finally ended up building an entire coop to house roosters ( aka the Bachelor Pad) next to the hens.
DSCN4937.JPG

You can do that if he doesn't constantly try to move them while roosting. I've also seen people put roosters in a large cage during the day to allow the hens to be able to still see him and put the rooster in the coop at night. I finally ended up building an entire coop to house roosters ( aka the Bachelor Pad) next to the hens.View attachment 3700763
Oh perfect! Good idea, that’s exactly what he needs. His own bachelor pad because he is so full of himself right now. Doing his what I call “shoulder lean dancing” even to my border collie lol 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom