Cockerel becoming agressive

teesngln

Chirping
Oct 4, 2023
My boy is a silkie, 10 months old. Raised him since he was 2 days old. We got him from my spouse's Dad and his silkies are all docile.

Over the last month, he's started getting aggressive with me in particular, doesn't go at my spouse. It started with an occassional peck to my boots and now I can't go in the run without him immedietly running at me all puffed up, pecking me and jumping at my legs.. I've tried pinning him down and picking him up. Picking him up seemed to work at first but doesn't help more than temporarily now.

He's good to his girls but I'm their primary caretaker and don't want to feel uncomfortable going into the coop. I don't necessarily need a rooster either, there's just an emotional attachment to him.

Is this a spring time thing or likely his adult personality coming in? Anything else I can try before the inevitable?

Picture of the cute a-hole in question:
received_387438980661572~2.jpeg

Last edited:
The weather permitting/not too cold you could try spraying him with a water spray bottle or even use a full bucket of water each time you enter the run and he charges at you.

He will soon learn not to invade your space and stay well away from you.

And always walk with confidence, never walk around but straight at him if he puts himself in you way. He needs to move away and give you room not vice versa.

The weather permitting/not too cold you could try spraying him with a water spray bottle or even use a full bucket of water each time you enter the run and he charges at you.

This.

Both of my roosters were trained by use of a spray bottle full of ice water.

And always walk with confidence, never walk around but straight at him if he puts himself in you way. He needs to move away and give you room not vice versa.
Our weather is still a bit inconsistent and into the negatives (Celsius) most days. But this would be an option pretty soon!

Our weather is still a bit inconsistent and into the negatives (Celsius) most days. But this would be an option pretty soon!
I did not see this mentioned in your first post (I apologize if it has been tried), but walking through them seems to have a more lasting impression than pinning them. Mine tend to get more aggressive if I pin them, but just keep walking and not acknowledging them and force them to move, and they learn the point quite quickly. At least mine did. But if your cockerel has spurs already, then it is best to wear thick jeans and heavy boots when trying this.

I did not see this mentioned in your first post (I apologize if it has been tried), but walking through them seems to have a more lasting impression than pinning them. Mine tend to get more aggressive if I pin them, but just keep walking and not acknowledging them and force them to move, and they learn the point quite quickly. At least mine did. But if your cockerel has spurs already, then it is best to wear thick jeans and heavy boots when trying this.
That's a good point, I think I could be more consistent with deliberatly just walking through him. He does have smaller spurs though (that I imagine would still hurt) so I always wear boots in when I'm in there.

And yeah, pinning was not successful at all, it definitely made him more angry🥴

Back
Top Bottom