Cockerel behaviors

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Do cockerels lay together like this often before they grow up? I find it interesting that they seem to be buddies and will hang out together like this. Just wondering if they will stay this friendly or if this changes as they age?

thanks!

Attachments

• 4AF3562A-8C06-48F4-9B8F-5742D5E42CD6.jpeg
    4AF3562A-8C06-48F4-9B8F-5742D5E42CD6.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 10
I have had multiple males together with females. One male will be the dominant male. I have also had bachelor coops and pens. Rarely an issue. A couple of times in the past some of the males have ganged up on one male. I removed him so they wouldn't get beaten on anymore. I'm lucky I have multiple coops.
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg
2014-11-11 09.59.28.jpg

Do you have pullets as well? How old are these cockerels? If there are pullets involved, their behavior will certainly change as hormones enter the picture and competitiin arises. If all you have is boys, I think they may continue to get along. Some people do keep bachelor flocks successfully.

Do you have pullets as well? How old are these cockerels? If there are pullets involved, their behavior will certainly change as hormones enter the picture and competitiin arises. If all you have is boys, I think they may continue to get along. Some people do keep bachelor flocks successfully.
Yeah unfortunately…I was hoping there was a chance they might live in harmony cuz they’re both beautiful birds. I have a cockerel and pullet of each breed and 2 Silkie pullets. It’s so hard to have to give them up after spending so much time raising them :-(

I have had multiple males together with females. One male will be the dominant male. I have also had bachelor coops and pens. Rarely an issue. A couple of times in the past some of the males have ganged up on one male. I removed him so they wouldn't get beaten on anymore. I'm lucky I have multiple coops.
View attachment 2730727View attachment 2730732
This gives me some hope! They’ve been together since they were born…and one definitely dominates the whole group. I hope they stay friendly to each other 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Beautiful birds, cmom! RIR?

They are beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom