Cockerel Biting Child

Pics
Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
My cockerel is about 15 weeks old.
He’s a RIR.
He’s bit my husband a few times but he was always provoked.
Tonight he charged my toddler and bit her twice.
She’s always picked him up (not something I encouraged and frowned upon and always stopped) and he’s always been chill with it.
Tonight he charged her and stared biting her while she was running across the yard.
The 1st time she was trying to get the chicks so I thought maybe he was being protective but the 2nd time she was just following my husband and he ran over and started biting her.
Of course we don’t want this behavior but killing him just seems extreme (however my husband isn’t above it cause obvi our babies safety is priority)
Is it hormones kicking in overdrive?
He’s always been nice to her and the other hens.

Mascot Kicker GIF by Crash Bandicoot

You do not mess around when a toddler is around a Cockerel, especially at that age when they can be unpredictable due to hormones. Your child could be blinded so quickly. I would confine him anytime your child is out, or re-home him. You can try to "train" him but he's just being a rooster.
Well they free range 🤷🏼‍♀️ And he goes for her legs or feet only.

You don't need to kill him. You can just give him away for free if his to much, and get a more docile rooster breed then RIR... Like a silkie or Cochin ect..
We were new to chickens when we got the RIR from TSC we just knew they laid well and ended up with a 2 cockerels in the straight run we received. Unfortunately our females were killed by dogs and the rest of the males as well. We had 10 now just 2 and their both cockerels. He’s massive however and has done well with her and the hens so it’s kind of a shock that he bit her. She’s been picking him up since day 1.

Well they free range 🤷🏼‍♀️ And he goes for her legs or feet only.
For now. Have you ever had a rooster before? You don't seem very worried, I'd be far more worried. Attacks escalate, he is VERY young. Don't take a risk you could regret the rest of your life. Do not let you child down on the ground with that rooster loose. Just because he tolerated being picked up last week doesn't mean he will this week.

For now. Have you ever had a rooster before? You don't seem very worried, I'd be far more worried. Attacks escalate, he is VERY young. Don't take a risk you could regret the rest of your life. Do not let you child down on the ground with that rooster loose. Just because he tolerated being picked up last week doesn't mean he will this week.
I’ve never had a rooster before.
My daughter is extremely tough and capable of handling herself but of course I worry about her well being. There’s no way to keep them separate so either everyone has to get along or the roosters gotta go.
However with them free ranging do they not require a rooster to keep them safe??

Back
Top Bottom