Cockerel Biting Child

I am 68 years old and a previously tame, sweet rooster one day decided to flog me from behind with no warning. That means he flapped his wings at me and scraped my legs with his spurs. My BARE legs, I was wearing shorts, which I normally do not. Both the wings and the spurring HURT. I was so startled that I turned around to see what kind of a devil was hurting me. Immediately he flew up and attacked me. The first and worst thing he did was to jam me in the knee with his beak while raking me down my legs again with his spurs. That beak to the knee was like somebody had swing the claw end of a hammer at me, full force. It about knocked me leg out from under me.

I started swinging my cane at him as he kept coming at me. Wings, beak and spurs, I could not get away from him. At first I was just trying to keep him off me but soon I was in desperate self-defense mode and then I realized it was going to be him or me. My prior karate experience helped some, but not enough. I was crying with pain and rage. I carry a cane for balance but I am not feeble. I was trying to knock his head off. My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got that d**n bird off me and I hobbled into the house to tend to my wounds. After dark, when he had roosted, we took him out of the hen house and took care of him. His carcass went out into the forest for the raccoons. Bottom line: if a rooster could injure an adult such as myself like that, don"t assume your baby girl can handle your rooster, especially naked. He's young enough still to make a fine stew. His aggressive behavior will most likely not improve, and it would be irresponsible to gamble with your sweet baby girl's health. Remove him from her presence - permanently - as soon as possible, is my advice to you. My knee will never be the same, I believe he chipped a bone in it.

I am 68 years old and a previously tame, sweet rooster one day decided to flog me from behind with no warning. That means he flapped his wings at me and scraped my legs with his spurs. My BARE legs, I was wearing shorts, which I normally do not. Both the wings and the spurring HURT. I was so startled that I turned around to see what kind of a devil was hurting me. Immediately he flew up and attacked me. The first and worst thing he did was to jam me in the knee with his beak while raking me down my legs again with his spurs. That beak to the knee was like somebody had swing the claw end of a hammer at me, full force. It about knocked me leg out from under me.

I started swinging my cane at him as he kept coming at me. Wings, beak and spurs, I could not get away from him. At first I was just trying to keep him off me but soon I was in desperate self-defense mode and then I realized it was going to be him or me. My prior karate experience helped some, but not enough. I was crying with pain and rage. I carry a cane for balance but I am not feeble. I was trying to knock his head off. My husband heard me screaming and came to my rescue. He got that d**n bird off me and I hobbled into the house to tend to my wounds. After dark, when he had roosted, we took him out of the hen house and took care of him. His carcass went out into the forest for the raccoons. Bottom line: if a rooster could injure an adult such as myself like that, don"t assume your baby girl can handle your rooster, especially naked. He's young enough still to make a fine stew. His aggressive behavior will most likely not improve, and it would be irresponsible to gamble with your sweet baby girl's health. Remove him from her presence - permanently - as soon as possible, is my advice to you. My knee will never be the same, I believe he chipped a bone in it.
I actually suggested that we go grab him while it’s night and handle it but my husband just worked a 12 hr shift and wants to wait til morning.
I believe I’ve read him enough horror stories to make him feel like culling him for dinner would be best.

I work 12s as well. Most of my butcher times end up being after a midnight shift.

We had a silkie roo that had a bad attitude. Yes a silkie. He flogged the wife several times. She even kicked him and knocked him out once yet eventually he would do it again. She thought he would quit. Spurred me once, she agreed,, and his days got numbered.

chicken soup GIF

I work 12s as well. Most of my butcher times end up being after a midnight shift.

We had a silkie roo that had a bad attitude. Yes a silkie. He flogged the wife several times. She even kicked him and knocked him out once yet eventually he would do it again. She thought he would quit. Spurred me once, she agreed,, and his days got numbered.
Yikes.
We’re pretty sad about it /: not something we expected but are new to chickens.
He wants our daughter to experience the death and help with the cleaning/cooking.
She’s one and a half ☹️ She’s super smart but I feel like her being involved might scar her for life.
The worst part is he’s her buddy and he’s the biggest and most handsome we have. Not to mention his protection for the girls saved their lives during an attack.

It is super sad, but I'm in the same boat with my favorite chicken. It's our first flock and he's a handsome, 20 week old cockerel. I have a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old daughter. My 3 year old has been helping me with the chickens since they were in the brooder. The friendliest has always been our cockerel. He would take treats from our hands, let us pet him, etc. We keep ours in an enclosed run. A few days ago, my 3 year old walked in with me to feed them (as usual). Our cockerel lunged feet first with his wings out right at her. I hit him in the head with the food dish to stop him from attacking her. We were moving to get out of the run and he lunged right at her again. I hit him again, before he could reach her. He tried to follow us out of the run, but shut the door in his face. Thank God we do not free range. I would've had to fight this guy in the open! It was so scary!! I'm just waiting for my husband to get back from out of town, to cull him. My love for this cockerel went out the window. We will only be keeping hens from now on. I can barely get in there to feed them without him charging me now. The only thing that changed, was one of my pullets started laying. He was so gentle before that! Now he's a terror.

Yikes.
We’re pretty sad about it /: not something we expected but are new to chickens.
He wants our daughter to experience the death and help with the cleaning/cooking.
She’s one and a half ☹️ She’s super smart but I feel like her being involved might scar her for life.
The worst part is he’s her buddy and he’s the biggest and most handsome we have. Not to mention his protection for the girls saved their lives during an attack.
She should be fine observing some. Maybe not the initial dispatching when they flop and flap around. I grew up on a family farm. I remember butchering chickens when I was 5 and help raising them before then. On butcher day mom asked if I remembered which birds had flogged me. Yep and I dispatched them.
We had turkeys too and one Tom beat the living day lights out of me. Butcher day he met my Willie Mays bat.

I'd just make sure to let her know how much to appreciate his sacrifice to feed the family.

She should be fine observing some. Maybe not the initial dispatching when they flop and flap around. I grew up on a family farm. I remember butchering chickens when I was 5 and help raising them before then. On butcher day mom asked if I remembered which birds had flogged me. Yep and I dispatched them.
We had turkeys too and one Tom beat the living day lights out of me. Butcher day he met my Willie Mays bat.

I'd just make sure to let her know how much to appreciate his sacrifice to feed the family.
She has seen the aftermath of a deer hunt but she wasn’t even walking then.
She understood when we told her some chickens died but not fully she watched us bury them (way too small to eat and the whole thing was a horrific shock we dug a lot of holes that day and it wasn’t for just chickens).
I just don’t want this to be some horrific thing in her life that gives her nightmares. Even if she doesn’t witness the initial butcher.
I don’t want her to think every cut or bump from a critter leads to death and ingestion. 😵‍💫

Back
Top Bottom