Cockerel breathing funny?

SillyChicky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
I have a 4 1/2ish month old Columbian Wyandotte boy... The past few weeks (well I noticed then anyways), he's been breathing funny. Not a fast mouth opened pant, but beak closed and breathing deep and labored. His tail bops up and down with the heaves even, and it's very evident when he's laying down. There are NO other symptoms other than the odd cough or sneeze (I don't know the difference). He is eating and drinking well, I did medicate their water before removing him with Tetracycline (I had nowhere to put him yet). The tetracycline didn't make him better, I was hoping it was just a minor respiratory infection. Now I'm worried it's some kind of virus, although if it was wouldn't my other birds be showing signs of sickness too? He's now alone and has been the past few days, I found a crib in the basement that works great with some shingles lined along the base so the straw doesn't slide around.

I don't bother with the meds in his water since the 5 day treatment didn't do anything. He does drink a lot of water, but then again they all do when I refresh their daily supply (they also really liked the taste of the meds I'm thinking).

I just don't know how long to leave him in that crib by himself for. I don't wanna put him back with the others until I know what's going on. I also need to use that crib for my Jerkface cockerel who is already too aggressive with the pullets for my liking. I have a lady coming to trade two of my cockerels for two of her pullets and a few more I'm paying for (not for a few weeks) I think I should just hold off on giving her my boys until I know for sure I'm not spreading something.

For now I'll search for another way to segregate the Jerkface roo, I can't stand watching him beat up my sweet girls like that.

Duramycin 10 (tetracycline) treatment is recommended for 7-14 days, and the dose can be 400 mg or 800 mg. If it's a virus, the antibiotic may keep him from getting a secondary infection such as pneumonia or sinus infection. I don't know of any minor respiratory infections in chickens--infectious bronchitis might be the least of the baddies, but even it is pretty devastating since 100% of your flock can get it within a few days. Here are some the common ones with the meds for treatment listed: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Duramycin 10 (tetracycline) treatment is recommended for 7-14 days, and the dose can be 400 mg or 800 mg. If it's a virus, the antibiotic may keep him from getting a secondary infection such as pneumonia or sinus infection. I don't know of any minor respiratory infections in chickens--infectious bronchitis might be the least of the baddies, but even it is pretty devastating since 100% of your flock can get it within a few days. Here are some the common ones with the meds for treatment listed: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I use Oxytetra-A (water soluble powder)... Recommended treatment is for 5 days or for a few days after symptoms disappear. This could be a while LOL... I'm not comfortable overmedicating with chemicals. Roo isn't changing at all, but I have the stuff so may as well use it. Everyone else in the group is totally fine, so I am not sure it's something that's highly contagious.

I wonder if it can be Marek's? I had one bird die about 5 weeks ago from what looked like a broken neck (but she was still alive, husband had to drown her) and one chick also died from the same breeder when it was about a month old. There was also a bunch of people who had pullets with Marek's symptoms from the same breeder as well (although they all denied it was Marek's)

That's the only disease that had a check under labored breathing, and that's his only symptom. The other six look completely healthy though.

This boy isn't from the same breeder as the other's that died, but I did put them all together as day old chicks.

Unfortunately, from what I have read if there is one chickens in your flock with Mareks it is now present for all to be exposed through the dander and feather dust. Some will be immune. and others will get symptoms. There are different symptoms from eye problems, neurological, symptoms, skin symptoms, and some have tumors. If you have another die, you might check ahead of time on how to get it necropsied by the state vet since it would be good to know if your flock is positive. That way you can have all birds vaccinated before they come into your flock. Some states like California have free necropsies, and others charge a nominal fee. Going through a local vet is always more expensive, and theysend them off to the state vet. Here is a link on finding your state vet to ask questions: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

No one is sick except this one cockerel. His one and only symptom is his breathing. The six other pullets and cockerels are doing well, nothing odd with any of them. The deaths I mentioned happened long before this boy started breathing funny.

Back
Top Bottom