Cockerel Comb shrinked

Dec 27, 2018
Long story short i have a cockeral(golden commet mix) that was hatched in May. Late August he i think he peaked as far as size. He is huge. Especially compared to the other chicks i hatched a week later. When the other chicks that hatched a week after he did got big enough(early september) i moved them to the big coop where i had 1 6 year old golden commet hen in. He automatically bred her and when feeding and free ranging. He always showed everybody where the good food is and always crowed. Late October rolled around and his comb shrunk(still bright red) and he does not crow and he seems to be a pig when it comes to food as well. He does not seem to be loosing weight and i have not noticed any parasites on him. Havent seen him mount the hen anymore either. He is still acting normal over than that. Any ideas why his comb shrunk?

Day length impacts hormone production in cockerels/roosters as well as in pullets/hens. You don't give your location, but some feel that excessive cold/frostbite can also cause a cessation in mating activity. My guess is that as day light period increases he will regain his mojo.

Here is a before and after. I also forgot to say my Gf(we dont live together) has his brother and his comb is still big and still crows and shows hens where the good food is.

Attachments

• 20200925_144816.jpg
    20200925_144816.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20201223-151234.png
    Screenshot_20201223-151234.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Day length impacts hormone production in cockerels/roosters as well as in pullets/hens. You don't give your location, but some feel that excessive cold/frostbite can also cause a cessation in mating activity. My guess is that as day light period increases he will regain his mojo.
Im in Virginia

Back
Top Bottom